Red Velvet Cake

Decorating By Trance Updated 30 Oct 2008 , 9:40pm by tracycakes

Trance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trance Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 14

Hi -
If anyone has a recipe for Red Velvet Cake that has a proven track record I would love to have it. A customer requested it for a cake on Friday and I have never made one before and do not have time to made any to taste test.
Thanks in advance,
Trance

13 replies
calicakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicakequeen Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 14

I actually use the DH red velvet and I ALWAYS get compliments on it!!

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 14

i use sarah's red velvet recipe on here. i love it!

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 14

The DH is great! I have made it from scratch before, and DH is better! WAY cheaper too! The crusting cream cheese icing in the recipes goes great with it.

MsTonyasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsTonyasCakes Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 14

I use Sarah's Red Velvet and everyone LOVES it!! Good luck thumbs_up.gif

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 14

i use my vanilla cake recipe....substituting some of the flour with cocoa powder and adding red food colour

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:34pm
post #7 of 14

Definately Sarah's red velvet recipe on this site. Red velvet from a mix just doesn't do it justice.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:37pm
post #8 of 14

I have done both scratch and DH. DH if I'm doing a tiered cake for the density (add pudding to the mix) and scratch for the holidays when I'm not decorating. They are both VERY good and if you "doctor" the DH I think it's great!

Beth in KY

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 14

I use my Butter cake recipe and add 2 1/2 tablespoons of cocoa and 1 and 1/2 bottles of red food coloring. I have one lady that orders a red velvet from me about every other week. She says it is the best she has ever had. My butter cake recipe is on this site, deb's butter cake.

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:56pm
post #10 of 14

Looks like I need to try Sarah's!!! lol

Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 9:02pm
post #11 of 14

I just made the recipe on here that is called Southern Red Velvet -it was a huge hit for someone who is VERY particular about their red velvet! I also used the Crusting Cream Cheese recipe -very pleased.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 9:15pm
post #12 of 14

Definitely southern red velvet recipe! Red velvet box is crap to me...it is lacking in the distinctive flavor of true red velvet. I can send you a recipe that I already have typed up if you want...PM me your email address.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 9:17pm
post #13 of 14

The red velvet cake recipe in the Martha Stewart wedding book is very good - I've made that one and I've made the one my grandma used to make (a family favorite) and dare I say the MS one was AS good as grandma's!

Check Martha's site for the recipe.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 9:40pm
post #14 of 14

I made a bleeding heart cake for work this week and used the Southern Red Velvet Cake from this site and everyone loved it. I used my regular cream cheese icing recipe because it was being covered with fondant. Since it was a bleeding heart, I put raspberry puree in the middle. Everyone said the cake was awesome, they just couldn't look at it while they were eating it. LOL It was a riot and a big hit. I had never made Red Velvet Cake before so I was just hoping it came out ok and it did. The texture was wonderful also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%