Question About 'grass' Icing Tip

Decorating By ybeal Updated 29 Oct 2008 , 9:47pm by RobzC8kz

ybeal Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 9

I love the hairy spider cakes in the gallery - does anyone know how easy/difficult it is to use the Grass icing tip? I've never used it before and might give it a shot - any tips??

8 replies
projectqueen Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 9

I love the grass tip! It's easy, you just have to play around with the pressure.

ybeal Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 9

I assume you start at the bottom? Silly question probably but I'm a beginner! icon_redface.gif

gales Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 9

Never heard of one until today, what does it look like, I have always just squeezed green icing through a tea strainer (small seive) to get a "grassy" effect. I would like to know more about this tip however.

Sugarflowers Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 9

Yes, start at the bottom. Squeeze out just enough to get it to stick and then pull away. To make long "strings", keep squeezing and then pull away. It takes a little practice, but that tip will end up being one your favorites.

Good luck and welcome to CC.

Michele

sugarwishes Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 9

On the Wilton website gives a great example of the grass and which tip (#233) to use. I've tried it just to play around with and it looks great!

Heres the link, hope it comes up.
http://www.wilton.com/idea/Soccer-Team-Treats

maurerba Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 7:45pm
post #7 of 9

I just LOVE my grass tip. If you have to cover a large area your hand gets a little tired, but it is so easy and gives a great look. Go buy one it is worth your $.

maggiev777 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:54pm
post #8 of 9

I love this tip too. Another hint is to not have your icing too soft. In my experience, a little stiffer makes for more "separate" blades of grass, whereas they kinda mush together if the icing is really soft. But you also don't want it toooo stiff or else you won't be able to pull away without it breaking too soon.

Have fun - it really is a wonderful tip!

RobzC8kz Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 9:47pm
post #9 of 9

I use mine for everything! Grass, fur, fuzz, you name it! Like everyone said, just squeeze some out to attach it to whatever you want to cover, then pull away while squeezing to create the "grass." The longer you squeeze, the longer it will be. I use it a lot! Love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%