Making Flowers,leaves,vines,and Trees

Decorating By Becca-BO Updated 30 Oct 2008 , 3:38am by countrygirlz

Becca-BO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becca-BO Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 4

i am making a tinker bell/forest themed three tiered cake with a waterfall. i have found enoughf info to make my water fall but i need help with the flowers,vines and trees any how to info or pics would be greatly appreciated. fondant,butter cream, and royal icing flowers would be great. i am fairly new at this so i need all the help that anyone has to offer. i have to make the cake dec 23 for my little girls 5th bday. all her other cakes were a lot simpler.

3 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 4

For the flowers, I suggest that you use quick gumpaste flowers. You can make these ahead and store them. If you have the plunger type blossom cutter, then do a variety of sizes and colors. Don't put anything in the center until you get them on the cake. After you put them on the cake, use some buttercream to pipe small centers into them.

The vines would be the easiest with buttercream. I'm not sure what you are planning with the vines. If they are hanging vines, then rice noodles that have been colored moss green will make really cool hanging vines and are not likely to break.

Are the trees going to be free standing or more of an applique tree? There are quite a few ways to do both. If you could give me a little more information about how you want the whole thing to look like, then I can give you a better idea of what to do. This includes how big you want the cake to be.

Sorry I couldn't be more help than that. Maybe someone else will be able to do better.

Michele

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:08am
post #3 of 4

I agree with everything that Michelle said. I have done a few trees to stand vertically on top of cakes. I have used gumpaste, fondant and chocolate clay. I would say that for making a 3D verital tree, the chocolate clay works the best and is easiest to work with for that. I use a piece of floral wire inside of a coffee stirrer for support of the tree trunk.

I always do flowers out of gumpaste or a fondant/gumpaste mix. I make them ahead of time and plop them onto the cake when needed.

HTH -
Mandi

countrygirlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrygirlz Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:38am
post #4 of 4

I just finished making a golf cake with trees in it and I just covered little paper cones with green bc using the grass tip and then stood them up on the cake, they turned out quite nice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%