Please, Please, Please Help! Shortening Vs Butter!

Decorating By Meagazz Updated 30 Oct 2008 , 12:06pm by JanH

Meagazz Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone,

Any help you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated!! I am participating in a bake sale on Friday and I need to come up with some icings!!

My first question is: Do all Buttercream recipes crust?? Or do you need to add meringue powder to the recipe for them to crust?? (I am piping swirls on the cupcakes and I need them to be durable!)

And secondly: I am really low on money right now and I really need to watch my costs. Is it possible that when an icing recipe calls for butter, I can substitute shortening (Crisco)??

I am sorry if these questions have already been posted!!

Thank you so much for your time!!

4 replies
Meagazz Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 5

And I forgot to add to my second question (that is why they probably also have a preview)! If you are able to substitute shortening into the recipe, does it drastically change the flavor/consistency??

sari66 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 5

Not all bc crust, it depends on the recipe. Using crisco instead of butter can change the taste as some ppl say it leaves their mouth feeling greasy. Butter is of course better flavor wise and no greasy feel. So maybe you can do half and half? Or I've used the hi ratio shortening and found it has little of that greasy feeling.
As for the frosting holding up unless you're in a hot climate it should hold up pretty well.

kakeladi Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:22am
post #4 of 5

...... Do all Buttercream recipes crust?? Or do you need to add meringue powder to the recipe for them to crust??.......
NO all b'cream recipes do not curst. Adding mp does make them crust either! The higher the fat content the less it will crust.
So I suggest you use Indydebi's recipe (it's in the recipe section of this site). It is an all shortening on. I personally haven't tried it as I no longer make cakes but I hear it tastes supericon_smile.gif

JanH Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:06pm
post #5 of 5

If cost is a factor, you can substitute margarine in any American b/c recipe that uses butter.

If you want to use shortening, I would find a recipe that specified shortening... (Don't want to be experimenting if funds are tight.)

Here's a thread that has popular CC cake and frosting recipes and so much more...

Everything you ever wanted to know about making your 1st tiered/stacked/layer cake:

Quote by @%username% on %date%