Strange Looking Ri

Decorating By lapazlady Updated 30 Oct 2008 , 12:24am by lapazlady

lapazlady Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 5

Last night I covered 20 large cookies with RI, expecting to finish decorating this morning. When I got up this AM, the RI was blotchy and mottled. What causes this? I've never had it happen before. Did humidity play a part? We had a thunder storm last night.
LL

4 replies
Sugarflowers Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 5

It looks like there might have been too much air in your icing and maybe a little too thin. Since it has been colored, the color might not have blended well. Sometimes colors will do better if left to sit overnight so that the color is fully absorbed by the sugar. If it sat out too long, then it might separate. Usually stirring it well will re-incorporate it.

HTH

Michele

lapazlady Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 5

Air bubbles? Can't say no. These were flooded cookies, so the icing was thin. I've done this before, mixed the RI, colored it and flooded cookies, after allowing the RI to sit for a couple of hours, and have never had this mottled effect. The mottling was on every cookie, so something general certainly was at work. Thank you for your input. I'll try not to be in a hurry next time, that's for sure.

DianeLM Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:15am
post #4 of 5

It looks to me like too much liquid.

Did you add your color before or after you thinned it to flooding consistency?

You should add color BEFORE thinning with water because the coloring itself adds liquid.

lapazlady Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:24am
post #5 of 5

I added the color before thinning the RI, and I really don't think it was too thin. But, I'll try again and see if I can get better results. Thank you very much for your input.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%