Adding Meringue To A Buttercream Recipe

Decorating By debiz1123 Updated 30 Oct 2008 , 3:36am by indydebi

debiz1123 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 10

Will it make any buttercream crust? I'm using the following recipe and I'm having a hard time getting it smooth using the viva method -

3 cups Crisco - beat till fluffy
2 lbs confec. sugar ( 8 cups) slowly add to Crisco
1 cup evaporated milk (sometimes I use just a little less)
1 tsp. vanilla

Someone posted this on the Wilton site and I love the taste she did say it didn't crust but to put it in the fridge over night and she was able to use the viva method.

And maybe I've just discovered one of my problems, when I copied it here I noticed it says 3 cups of crisco, I've been adding 4 cups ..........

Thanks!

Debbie

9 replies
indydebi Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 10

you're using too much fat. Crusting is a result of the fat/sugar ratio. the more fat, the less crusting .... more sugar, more crusting.

I only use 1-1/3 cups crisco to 2 lbs of sugar. You're using almost 3 times as much as I use. Here's my recipe ... crusts well and holds up in extreme heat and humidity. http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

debiz1123 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

you're using too much fat. Crusting is a result of the fat/sugar ratio. the more fat, the less crusting .... more sugar, more crusting.

I only use 1-1/3 cups crisco to 2 lbs of sugar. You're using almost 3 times as much as I use. Here's my recipe ... crusts well and holds up in extreme heat and humidity. http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

With your receipe could I use the evaporated milk instead of regular milk? Does that matter?

Thank you for your help!

Debbie

indydebi Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 10

I've used whole milk, 2% milk, 1% milk and skim milk and never noticed any big difference, so the best I can say is give it a shot and see how it comes out for you. thumbs_up.gif

deena1987 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 10

I've never thought about using evaporated milk. Does it change the taste and texture from using regular milk?

TexasSugar Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 10

I'd cut your fat back to atleast least 2 cups or less. The liquid also sounds like alot to me, but I don't really measure mine any more.

Mike1394 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:11am
post #7 of 10

It's criscocream, not BC icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Cake_Princess Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:33am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

It's criscocream, not BC icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

That's mean.

debiz1123 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:32am
post #9 of 10

After looking at the recipe again, I have not even been following the correct amounts, I've been using four cups of crisco, and 4 lbs of powdered sugar.

And I love the taste of the icing with the evaporated milk, so I will try it with your receipe Indydeb! I don't really measure the milk either I just add till I get the right consistency.

And I agree with you Mike it is criscocream, but I add the butter flavoring and vanilla and that helps alot.

Thanks again for everyone's help. icon_biggrin.gif

Debbie

indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:36am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by debiz1123

I don't really measure the milk either I just add till I get the right consistency.

Ahhhhhhh! A cook/baker after my own heart! Now THAT'S how you put a recipe together ..... "Until it looks right!" icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%