Thinner Layers Make Stronger Cake??

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 10:31pm by MacsMom

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 5

I was watching Ace of Cakes the other night and I noticed that almost all of his cakes are skinny layers of about 1 inch thick, stacked 4-5 high or whatever for carving the 3D cakes.I have also read here on the forum that it makes the cake more sturdy and stronger...Is this true?? I usually just stack 2 layers together..I don't torte each layer as I am afraid it will make the cake flimsy....What are your thoughts!

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 5

I have noticed this also. I love the look when the cake is cut. I would like to know if others think it makes the cake stronger?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 5

Stronger for what purpose? Holding up under fondant? I do it just because I love the way it looks when it's cut.

Methinks the reason is probably either aesthetic or to put lots of flavorful filling in the cake. *Shrug*

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 5

I'm at a loss as to how that could make it stronger... icon_confused.gif I'd love to know. I would think torting would be the opposite, weakening the structure of each layer. I like how it looks too... all that filling. Mmmmmm.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 5

IMO, the more layers of filling you use the more you compromise the structure. I like the look of 3 filling layers, but I only do it on cakes that don't require carving, unless I'm using ganache.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%