Have Any Of You Girls Had An Endometrial Ablation?

Lounge By butternut Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 2:15am by navywifetrat

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 29

My doctor has suggested that I have this procedure done and I've got a brochure about it but I would love to hear from someone who has actually had this done. There seems to be so many things that can go wrong so I'm just not sure about it. Any positive or negative experiences would be so appreciated. Thanks so much!!

28 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 29

In a Google search I found these sites:

http://www.endometrialablationdiscussion.com/ (this one is by women who have had or considering the treatment.)

http://women.webmd.com/endometrial-ablation-16200

http://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/bp134.cfm

http://www.gynsecondopinion.com/period.htm

Hope maybe this info would help you with your decision. My first thought would be to get a second opinion. Janice

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 29

I have a good friend who had it done; she loved it. No cycles for about five years, but did start again this year. Now though, they've found she has so many fibroid tumors that she'll have to have a hysterectomy. I have no idea if the ablation can cause that, just giving you some information. They've put her into an induced menopause in hopes to shrink the tumors enough so that they don't have to go through her abdomen. She's pretty upset about the whole thing.

I also have another friend who just had it done last month so I can't tell you how effective it was, but I do know she said she's was in a lot more pain than she expected afterward; she said it felt like being in labor for 24 hrs.

butternut Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 29

Thank you so much Janice. I so appreciate the links. The Dr made it sound so simple and effective but geeeeesh, there sure are a lot of things that can go wrong with the HTA method. I'm scheduled for a D&C and biopsy so she wanted the do the ablation at that time. I think I need to think about this a little more. Thanks again!!!

butternut Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 29

Thanks so much Callyssa. I'm so sorry that your friend is having to go through all of this. I'm sure she felt that she wouldn't have any more problems after having it done only to then develop fibroid tumors. It may not have had anything to do with the ablation but ya know, I think I would always wonder. I hope that your other friend is feeling better now. They say that you should only have a bit of cramping after the procedure but it sure sounds like she had more than that. Thanks again for sharing with me. I really appreciate it.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 29

I had the procedure done 2 years ago. To be honest with you....it was one of the best decisions I've ever made!!! I had a fibroid tumor removed about 10 years ago, so I thought I might have another tumor because of the constant bleeding. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

When I went in for my surgery the doctor first did a hysteroscopy to see if there were any more fibroids..... luckily I didn't have any. Then the doctor did a D&C to make sure the uterine walls weren't too thick. After that she did the endrometrial ablation, and finally, she tied my tubes. (The doctor said that after having the endrometrial ablation done, if I were to become pregnant again it would be dangerous. We were already done having our family, so I had my tubes tied as well.)

Since I had the procedure done, I feel like I've got my life back again! I haven't had any problems since the surgery: no more constant bleeding or wondering when I would start bleeding again, no more fibroids, and no more of that dreaded monthly visitor. Once every 3 or 4 months I may have a slight discharge, but nothing to even give a second thought! I had a little cramping for about a week after surgery, but it wasn't bad at all.

You should go get a second opinion and that might help you to decide. I know other's may have had a different experience, but as for me......I'd do it again in a heartbeat! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Good Luck

butternut Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 29

Thanks so much jjkarm for sharing your experience with me. If you don't mind my asking did you have the Hydro TherAblator (HTA) done on you? This is the procedure that uses the heated saline to destroy the lining. I know that they also have a procedure that's called NovaSure, I believe which doesn't use the water. Thanks again for your help...

jjkarm Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:24pm
post #8 of 29

butternut,

I hoped my experience might help you. I had the NovaSure procedure done. NovaSure does not use water, it uses energy to....I guess you could say burn the uterine lining. It only takes 90 seconds to do the procedure and it's highly successful. Of course there are always things that can go wrong with any surgery, but my experience was very positive. I'm afraid I don't know much about HTA, so I can't give you any information on it.
HTH thumbs_up.gif

butternut Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:45pm
post #9 of 29

I don't know why but I had a feeling that you may have had the NovaSure. From what I read, it seems that this procedure might just be better than the HTA. Ok, I've made up my mind. Obviously the Dr who is doing my D&C only performs the HTA. I think I am going to tell her that I've decided against the procedure at this time. Then after I get all of my test results and biopsy reports, I will decide what I'll do next. If I come to really realize that I can't take this problem any longer, I'll find another Dr who does the NovaSure procedure. OK, made up my mind. You were a great help jjkarm. Can't thank you enough!!!

jjkarm Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 9:07pm
post #10 of 29

I think you're wise to wait, and to make sure you're completely comfortable with the procedure and your decision. I waited as long as I could, but like you said.....I couldn't take it anymore. I'd taken birth control pills for years to help control the bleeding, but I reached the point they weren't helping anymore. I was soooo tired of always worrying about it! Anytime I went anywhere I had to take "supplies" with me just in case......even just going to the grocery store. It was not a fun way to live life. thumbsdown.gif

Do some more research and make sure you feel good about your doctor! Ask your doctor lots of questions and hopefully he can help you make an informed decision. My doctor was wonderful and made sure I understood what would happen. She explained the positives to me and also told me about the negative things that could happen.

Good Luck to you!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

butternut Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 9:21pm
post #11 of 29

Thanks jjkarm. My main problem is that the cycles are soooo often. It's about every 12 days now. Five days on and then a week later, it starts all over again. I'm thinking that maybe the D&C will help lessen it for a little while anyway. Yeah, I've got lots of questions for this Dr. This is the first time that I've been to her and I'm just not feeling like we are communicating as well as we should. I feel sure that she will do a good job on the D&C and I know that this needs to be done to completely rule out cancer. But I plan on making an appointment to really discuss all of my questions after the D&C. We'll see where it goes from there. Geeez, I really struggled with what to do, I'm so glad that I've made up my mind now. I've got to call tomorrow and let them know that I won't be having the ablation done at this time. I'm also going to request some brochures about the NovaSure. There is a website where you can request information about the procedure. I'm so glad that everything has worked out for you and you can actually enjoy your outings now. Makes a world of difference, I'm sure........

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:09am
post #12 of 29

My dr. is recommending the Nova Sure for me right now and also get my tubes "blocked". There is a fairly new procedure - Essure - where they go in and put "screws" into the fallopian tubes and then do the Nova Sure in the same office visit.

She said I could go in and get it all done and be back to work the next day.

I am waiting for them to call me to tell me she's got all the equipment in the office to get it done. If I don't hear from her in the next week I am going to find another doctor. I want to get it done before the end of the year so it can all go on the same deductible icon_wink.gif

Barb

tblide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tblide Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:10am
post #13 of 29

WOW!!! All I can say is that I have just learned a whole lot of information that my doctor has never told me about. I think that my doctor blew me off because I don't have insurance. I have all of the symptoms that you ladies have described. I have a cycle at least twice a month with the heavy bleeding. I also cramp severely. My doctor told me that I was having multiple periods because I wasn't ovulating. Huh? What? So I got a second opinion. Said the same thing. So I gave up cause I ran out of money (again no insurance) and ran out of doctors in my area. Also I tried to get insurance and the insurance company denied me because I had fibroids. I said your mistaken I don't have fibroids, they said well it's on your medical record. So I call doctor's office and they tell me yes you do. I say why wasn't I told this? They say well it usually doesn't turn out to be any problems so we don't tell people!!! Huh what??? Excuse me???!!!! Needless to say I am in search of another doctor but have to go to a different town because there are only two in my town (really small town).

Anyway when I do find another doctor, at least now I will not go in there with no knowledge. Thanks ladies.

navywifetrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
navywifetrat Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 10:38am
post #14 of 29

I have a couple of questions for you ladies -

My periods aren't extremely heavy - usually the first 3 days are and then they are light but they last anywhere from 12-14 days. My periods used to last 7 days and have gradually grown over the past couple years. I am pretty regular in that I do have one every month but it last for almost half of it and then I start back up in 2 weeks. I have seen a doctor and they are going to do some tests next week (assuming I am not on my period which there is a 90% chance that I will be). Last month, I did notice cramping which I don't usually have. I have noticed more mood swings and will start crying on a drop of a hat. I have also noticed weight gain. I watch what I eat and do exercise 3-4 times a week but every month about a week before my period, I gain about a pound and it never comes off. It seems like all the weight is around my stomach area.

So do any of you have these symptoms or is this how your periods started out and just got worse over time?

jjkarm Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 7:26pm
post #15 of 29

tblide,

I can't believe your doctor didn't tell you you had fibroids!! Yea, if they are small they may not cause any physical problems, but mine were small and they were the reason I was having my period twice a month. To me....having to deal with that was a big problem. icon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gif My cycles went back to normal after the fibroid was removed. Fibroids are pretty common and you probably have nothing to worry about, but sometimes fibroids can be cancerous. A doctor can usually tell by looking at their appearance if thy are cancerous or not . If they are smooth on top then they're usually fine. If the tumor looks more rough, like broccoli, then it could be suspicious. Mine looked fine but my doctor sent them to pathology to be tested just in case....there was no cancer.

You didn't say if your doctor took a look at your fibroids or not, but I'm very surprised that he didn't even mention it to you! icon_surprised.gif I don't know if the fibroids are causing your excessive bleeding, but it might be part of your problem. I hope you can find someone to help you!

navywifetrat,

I never noticed having any weight gain or emotional problems. My periods were very heavy for the first few days though. So bad, in fact, that I didn't dare leave the house at all! thumbsdown.gif That's when I started taking the birth control pills, and it really helped.

Many years later I started having problems again. Not a heavy flow, but I was bleeding almost all of the time. Kind of like what you mentioned, but as time went by it continued to get worse. I never knew when it would stop, and I never knew when it would start again! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif It ended up that I only had a few days of the month when I wasn't bleeding. That's when I decided to have the endrometrial ablation. Now I can enjoy life again without always having to worry what tomorrow would bring. Like I said in an earlier post, the 2nd time I had problems it wasn't the fibroids that were causing it.

I'm sure glad I was given another option to help me out besides just getting a hysterectomy. Do be aware, however, that if the endrometrial ablation doesn't work, then the next step is probably a hysterectomy. So you should weigh your options carefully, and be sure to make an educated decision.

Boy, I feel like I need to make some kind of a disclaimer here.....I am not a medical professional! So please take my advice with a grain of sand, I'm only going off the experiences I've had in my past. Other people may feel differently about the subject, or have more informed information than "little ol' me"! icon_rolleyes.gif

By the way....is all of this stuff too personal and too much information for a cake decorating website? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif I never dreamed when I got on CC, that I would end up telling you all of my personal struggles!! icon_eek.gif All well, hopefully I can help someone out there to find help and enjoy life again! thumbs_up.gif

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 12:16pm
post #16 of 29

My periods usually last 10-18days. And are extremely heavy. I always thought that was normal. Then this summer I went to a different dr. and she told me about Essure and Nova Sure.

My old dr would just give me estrogen and tell me it was to "reset" my system. I've had 2 d n c's to "reset" my system also. It would work for a few months and then within a year I'd be right back to where I started.

Seriously, I thought bleeding thru and "accidents" happen to everyone. In fact when I saw restaurant servers wearing white or tan pants was completely stupid because how could they not have accidents. When girls would say to me they needed a tampon because their period was about to start I couldn't understand because I never get a warning, it just starts - heavy.

I can't wait to get it done.
Barb

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:56am
post #17 of 29

I had this procedure done a little over three years ago and wish my doctor had recommended it sooner. I had it done on a Friday and was back at work on Monday. Just a little tenderness and cramping, but SO worth it for the results.

I read this topic because it seems like my periods are getting heavier than they were right after the surgery (but NOTHING like they were before) so maybe I will need to have the procedure done again in the future.

Believe me, I would do it again in a heartbeat. Don't mean to sound like a drama queen, but it really changed my life.

Kim

shanzah67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanzah67 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 3:18am
post #18 of 29

I have heard of it but don't know much about it. My friend's sister had this done last month and has recovered well.

cmp24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmp24 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 6:56am
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callyssa

I have a good friend who had it done; she loved it. No cycles for about five years, but did start again this year.

Not having a cycle for that long can actually make the tumors grow, and can even cause cancer. My dr told me if i go w/out for over 3 mo i need to go see her again because of what not having a cycle can do to you. I loved it, but in the long run it's not a good thing.

Mattie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mattie1 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 1:52pm
post #20 of 29

An ablation basically evaporates the lining so there usually is nothing there to have a period with. Without this procedure not having a period for more than 3 months is not good, but no period WITH this procedure is normal.

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 5:05pm
post #21 of 29

I had NovaSure done 1 1/2 years ago. It is the best! I had no bleeding for about 3 months and now I have slight spotting for about 2 days a month. I also did not have fibroids and my doctor told me many women never get a period again after having this done.

An ablation basically evaporates the lining so there usually is nothing there to have a period with. Without this procedure not having a period for more than 3 months is not good, but no period WITH this procedure is normal.
Mattie1 is correct.

I was having 18 -22 day cycles every month and my doctor recommended it. She said it is really only for women who are done having children, my husband had a vasectomy after our third son was born. We do not have to worry about BC and we are both happy with pretty much no cycle!
Best of luck,Tracy

navywifetrat Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 7:30pm
post #22 of 29

So I just got home from the doctor. He did an entrometrial biopsy and an ultrasound. I do have a very small fibroid but he doesn't think that is why I bleed for 10-14 days. He said the biopsy comes back normal then I have the choice of going on the pill, having Mirena put in or doing the endometrial ablation. The pill has given me migraines in the past so I don't know that I want to go that route.

I did a little more research on the ablation. Have any of you who had it gained weight? I was reading where people gained weight after having it done. I have already gained weight so I don't need to add any more to it.

I have 3 weeks before my next appointment to try and figure out what I want to do.

butternut Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 10:50pm
post #23 of 29

navywifetrat - I haven't read anything or talked with anyone who gained weight after having that procedure. Of course it doesn't mean it hasn't happened but I've not heard of it. I had the biopsy and ultrasound done and the results came back normal. However, my Dr now wants to do a D&C because with this procedure, they can gather more cells just to make sure that they are not overlooking anything with just having the endometrial biopsy done. Geeez, wish she had told me that to begin with. I would have gone ahead and scheduled the D&C and not had the biopsy done in her office. So, having that and the hysteroscopy done the beginning of Dec. I wish you luck with your decision. My circumstances are a bit different than yours and I've decided to take a wait and see stance on the ablation. I'm giving my body a chance to do things the way it needs to but if it goes on too long, I'll probably have it done. I read where if you have this procedure done, it could be more difficult to detect endometrial cancer should it develop in the future. That kinda bothers me. I don't know, we'll see.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:19pm
post #24 of 29

butternut, just wondering how you made out and if you ever had the Ablation done.

I was told yesterday that I may need to have the NovaSure procedure, so I'm gathering as much info as I can.

Hope you're feeling better!
Deb

butternut Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:57pm
post #25 of 29

Hey there Deb. I never had it done because I just couldn't get all the information that I wanted from my Dr. I wanted her to explain to me the difference in the Nova Sure which she never even discussed with me (but I discovered that she does perform) and the HTA method. She would never return my calls so I cancelled the surgery. I figured that I would call my primary and have her refer me to another GYN. After all of that, I'm glad that I didn't have it done. I never really thought that it was a necessary procedure for me to have done and sure enough, everything seems to be working the way it should be. My system was just trying to figure out how to deal with the changes and it did. If I had continued with the problem that I was having, I would have seen another Dr, had a D&C and possibly the Nova Sure procedure. The research that I did on my own convinced me that there were less risks with the Nova Sure over the HTA.
I have talked to several woman who had the Nova Sure method performed and they were all very satisfied and it changed their lives in a great way. I wish you luck in making your decision, Deb. If you really need to have an ablation done, I personally would go with the Nova Sure.

Deb_ Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:31pm
post #26 of 29

Thanks Margie,
I'm so glad that you're feeling better and that you didn't need surgery after all.

I've tried to wait and see if this would taper off but it seems to be getting worst each month. I've always been pretty normal (whatever that is) when it comes to this stuff but the past 3 to 6 months have really been miserable.

I'm at the point where I can't leave my house for 2 to 3 days because I'm just hemorrhaging especially when I stand. Since I'm also a hairdresser, standing is my business, so I need to take care of this and soon.

I'm hoping that my biopsy and sonogram come back normal and that I'll be all set by the middle of July.

I'll let you know if I do have the NovaSure and how it goes.

Thanks so much for answering my post, I really appreciate it.

Deb icon_smile.gif

navywifetrat Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:57am
post #27 of 29

I ended up having the Merina IUD done in January - haven't had much of a period until this month and it has been going since the 28th of May! I also think it is coming out of position as the strings are getting longer. I am going Tuesday and am going to talk to the doctor about the ablation as I am over it! Thankfully I am not heavy so where I can't leave the house but it just last forever!

Good luck!

Deb_ Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:06am
post #28 of 29

I'm sorry to hear that. Bleeding since the 28th of May icon_eek.gif you poor thing.

The IUD was also an option that my Dr mentioned to me, but I really don't want to have one.

The more people I speak to and the more research I do, it seems like the Ablation is the way to go. Hopefully, my tests will come back OK so I can do it.

Good luck navywifetrat!

navywifetrat Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:15am
post #29 of 29

I know it stinks - thankfully it isn't a lot but it is driving me nuts. I can't imagine a heavy flow - I feel for you!

I had the test done also - mine came out fine and I am sure yours will too. I am actually switching doctors so I will be starting all over but I couldn't handle waiting over an hour to an hour and a half in the doctor's office before being seen. My time is important too. I decided to try the Merina first as I didn't want to go to invasive but it doesn't look like it is gonna work. What really stinks is I don't need the birth control as I had my tubes tied after my 3rd child!

When do you get your results back?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%