Can You Stack A Cake Vertically?? Help!

Decorating By born2bake Updated 3 Nov 2008 , 4:15pm by Ayanami

born2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 11:05am
post #1 of 6

I stacked my cake, crumb coated it, etc. stepped back to look at it before decorating and realized it's not tall enough for the look I need. But . . . if I turned the cake upward, it would be the height I need. So my question is, will my cake hold up vertically if I turned it upright? The cake is a 9x13 cut in to 3rds and stacked (frosting inbetween layers) . . . just turn it on it's side . . . how would I dowel it to transfer it for a 5 mile ride? Oh, I plan to overlay it with fondant.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Note that after I post this, I'm on my way to work then class so I won't be able to access the forum until I get home at 9pm EST in case you had questions for me. And I'll be working on the cake Oct. 30 to finish it.

Sorry so long. Thank you so much!!

B2B

5 replies
acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 12:17pm
post #2 of 6

I would suggest that you make another cake and cut to stack on top of the one you already have. The sideways cake would not be as stable as a taller stacked layers. For instance, it is reccomended to stack layers up and then carve a purse from them, rather than turning a round on its edges and using it.

Just my opinion, Julia

gr8_seamstress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8_seamstress Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 6

I'm with Julia.............stack on top for stability.

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 6

Please don't make the mistake I made recently with a pirate ship cake. I thought covering it with fondant would help but it didn't and I had to start all over again and stack the layers. Especially if you are having to transport it.

born2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 6

E'nuff said. I will make a few more layers and stack them on top then drive 3 dowels through all of it for peace of mind and stability.

Thank you all so very much for your advise!! icon_biggrin.gif

B2B

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 6

One word ... Gravity.
icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%