Painting On Fondant

Decorating By SpudCake Updated 3 Nov 2008 , 5:06am by glendaleAZ

SpudCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpudCake Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:13am
post #1 of 26

For those of you who have used lemon extract to paint luster dust onto fondant.....does the lemon taste go away. I was reading one of Colettes books and she says that once the alcohol content evaporates that the taste goes away. Just curious if this is true as I am painting a lot on a cake this week and don't want the lemon taste but prefer not to use vodka or any other alcohol.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

25 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:36am
post #2 of 26

You could use vanilla extracticon_smile.gif Look at the contents and use the one w/the most alcohol. Even brands of lemon extract vary in alcohol content.

SpudCake Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 2:34am
post #3 of 26

I had thought of vanilla but don't want to use colored extract and didn't think clear/imitation extract would have alcohol.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 2:57am
post #4 of 26

The clear imitation vanilla extracts generally have much less alcohol than the real vanilla products.

It is best to use the most alcohol possible. You get a much better result that way.

I honestly don't see any distinction between using "70 proof" (35%) real vanilla, good lemon extract (about 83% alcohol), or Everclear (95% alcohol). No matter what way you look at it, you're using alcohol--you know, a rose by any other name is still a rose.........

The alcohol from any of these 3 products is going to evaporate rapidly once applied. There is NO alcohol left once the painting is dried. The alcohol is merely a medium for getting the "paint" to flow nicely.

Just my honest .02
Rae

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 3:04am
post #5 of 26

so use 91 % rubbing alcohol...it's not lemon extract or vodka

rachel-b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachel-b Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 3:08am
post #6 of 26

Your funny, mcook! icon_lol.gif Thanks for starting this thread, Spud. I was wondering myself.

SpudCake Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 12:53pm
post #7 of 26

As far as the lemon taste going away??

Joanne usaribbon.gif

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:20pm
post #8 of 26

Use Vodka, the alcohol evaporates! It's colorless and absolutely tasteless. If you really are against Vodka, roll out a small piece of fondant and paint it with lemon extract. Wait a couple of hours and taste it. Then, you'll know for sure, if there is still a lingering flavor or not.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:31pm
post #9 of 26

So what about the almond extract? icon_biggrin.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:31pm
post #10 of 26

Yes, I use vodka all the time. I even use a sprayer and spritz my cakes with it to get rid of PS residue as a final step, and the taste does go away!

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:43pm
post #11 of 26

I use Everclear. Works great, it was $14.00 for a bottle the size of a wine bottle, sorry I don't know the names for alcohol sizes, I don't drink.

Jibbies

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:44pm
post #12 of 26

I use Vodka as well.
After you mix it with the coloring or dust and use what you need the alcohol will evaporate and leave you with what ever color/dust is left over, dried and ready to use again.
When I was out of Vodka one time I used lemon extract, I still have a cup full of thick silver luster dust paste, the alcohol never fully evaporated from the lemon extract, and that was over 3 weeks ago. So now I will stick to vodka.
I also found out the Vodka dried faster on the cake. And there is no flavor left over once it dries.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:45pm
post #13 of 26

Jibbies, what is Everclear? This is the first time I've heard of it. (Remember, I live in the boonies. I figure things get here about 20 years after they've been discontinued in the States.)

khufstetler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khufstetler Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:58pm
post #14 of 26

Webtender.com says:

Quote:
Quote:

Everclear is a brand of pure grain alcohol, available in 190 proof (95%) and a less common 151 proof (75.5%) variant. It is produced by the David Sherman Corporation.

Because of its strength it is illegal in many US states, and probably not available outside USA (at least not the 190 proof variant). If Everclear is not sold where you live, plain vodka can be used instead (Everclear is basically a strong form of vodka).

Warning: Can be lethal when used as shots or substituted for water in Jello shooters.

That's funny to me... illegal? MY memories (although hazy) of Everclear revolve around it being mixed with Hawaiian Punch and fruit in a big cooler.

I am from the South Georgia boonies... icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm a bartender, wouldn't use Everclear - just because I DO drink and it's nasty. Even if it leaves no aftertaste. Probably cheaper than Vodka... but rock-gut Vodka is pretty cheap.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:59pm
post #15 of 26

When I first started painting on fondant, I used the Lemon Extract. I had people tell me they could taste it. (Lemon is one of those things you either love or hate.) I switched to Vodka. I love how it does not clump your food color or lustre dust and that it seems to stretch for a very long time. I found the lemon extract to be a little more difficult to work with as it seemed (and maybe that's my imagination) to evaporate even quicker while I was working with it and caused thick areas on my surface when I tried to blend colors, etc.)

iluvjay829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvjay829 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:59pm
post #16 of 26

I use Vodka too...I find it much cheaper than lemon extract as well. No taste left what so ever.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 2:04pm
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcook1670

Rubbing alcohol, Isopropyl alcohol, is toxic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubbing_alcohol

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 2:14pm
post #18 of 26

I had the same experience as WIN did, the lemon extract was a good brand clumped up and tasted strong. I tried vodka and the dust stays thinned out longer and goes further with NO taste. Vodka for me.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 2:29pm
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcook1670

Rubbing alcohol, Isopropyl alcohol, is toxic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubbing_alcohol

I think that member might have been being facetious. icon_lol.gif

SpudCake Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 7:34pm
post #20 of 26

I did actually paint some lemon extract on a piece of fondant last night. I plan to try it and see. I am leaning more toward vodka again....vodka is what I usually use but being that I am painting a whole cake I was a little concerned although the amount used is so minute when you think about it.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

trumpetmidget Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trumpetmidget Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:16am
post #21 of 26

I use vanilla vodka. Why? Because that is what was in the house. Now, I am on to Creme de Cocoa. Why? Because I used up all the vanilla vodka. icon_smile.gif Hehehehe. We bought the stuff for white chocolate martinis and I use it more for painting than I do for drinking. But, my, oh, my, were those martinis good! Anyway, I have never had anyone say they could taste the alcohol. I would think you could taste the lemon, but I don't know for sure.

SpudCake Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:47am
post #22 of 26

Well I waited 24 hours to try my fondant I painted with lemon extract. There was still a faint taste of lemon. Back to Vodka I go! (painting of course...)

Joanne usaribbon.gif

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:12am
post #23 of 26

I painted fondant for the first time today. I had no idea what I was doing. I used lemon extract and a dab of water. It was drying too fast for me, so I added a dab of corn syrup, which made it shiny. I was happy with the way it looks, but I tasted the fondant a few hours later and you can totally taste it, probably because of the corn syrup. Stupid me!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:27pm
post #24 of 26

I painted a whole pile of fall leaves with lemon extract! Guess what.. even after a week they still had a lemon flavor. And yes.. lots of clumping!!

SpudCake Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 7:41pm
post #25 of 26

I finished my painted cake. I posted it in my photos. It is a Colette design with my adaptions for my dear friend. I did use vodka, no problem.
Thanks for all the input.
Joanne usaribbon.gif

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 5:06am
post #26 of 26

I was on another thread about painting with luster dust yesterday, and then today I found this one. If you're painting with gold or silver luster dust, you may want to check out the thread below, as it has some important safety information.

As a side note - Vodka works best for me when painting on fondant and gum paste, and I've never had anyone tell me they could taste it.

http://CakeCentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6150119#6150119

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%