Any Tx Bakers/business Owners Here?

Business By dance2874 Updated 29 Oct 2008 , 2:02am by kelleym

dance2874 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dance2874 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:06am
post #1 of 3

I am in the very beginning stages of thinking about making my hobby into a business. I know TX doesnt allow home bakeries (or that is what I read here icon_rolleyes.gif ) but I was thinking about using a commercial kitchen at a church or daycare center. (I know a daycare that may not even charge me to use their space which would be fantastic!)

If I do decide to do that, what other things do I need to do to make myself a 'business'? Do I need a license of some sort or just a way to prove where I made the goods I am selling? DO they have to be labeled with ingredients on the packaging? I am a long way off from this really...I need alot more practice for one thing. I just want to investigate my options before deciding how (or if) I want to pursue it.

Thanks!!

2 replies
CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:39am
post #2 of 3

Texas does allow home kitchens with certain rules and regulations with that, obviously, but it all depends on where you live. You have to check your city and county rules for opening a food establishment because some allow home kitchens, others don't.

If there isn't anything for your city or county, you are under the rules listed in the Texas Administrative Code which is on the Secretary of State's website. Every city and county food rule is based on those minimum standards.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 2:02am
post #3 of 3

Texas does not allow home kitchens in the sense that you cannot use the same kitchen for a food business that you prepare food for your family in. A separate kitchen must be completely closed off from the home's living quarters and have an outside entrance.

Also, with any kitchen you plan to rent, check to see if it is licensed already or you need to acquire one for yourself. Your county's health department is the best place to start. icon_smile.gif

Here's another thread that may help:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-824421-texas.html#824421

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%