Dumb Question?

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 29 Oct 2008 , 12:34pm by heavensgaits

CakeInfatuation Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 12:24am
post #1 of 4

Okay...so I'm relatively new to all this and after looking at some photos of cakes that drop my jaw and watching Food Network Challenge with more cakes that drop my jaw...

I want to know about air brushing. How do you learn? What equipment do you need? Is it expensive? Can I teach myself or do I need classes?

Please... those of you who air brush, overload me with information! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
aztomcat Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 5:43am
post #2 of 4

I'll be interested to see the answars. Definitely not a dumb question....

My hubby bought me an airbrush set from a tool shop called Harbor Freight for less than $12 and he already owns a compressor, so he also got me an adapter for less tha $5.

So I have what I need, but haven't tried it yet.

Dee in AZ

costumeczar Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 11:16am
post #3 of 4

You can definitely teach yourself, and thre are enough videos out there to watch that you can learn a lot of techniques without paying for classes. Just be careful of the compressors...The cake decorating airbrushes have lower "firepower" than paint airbrush compressors, so if you're using a regular on with a stronger compressor it can blow the icing right off the cake.

I use mine all the time, to color flowers, spray the surface of fondant cakes, etc. I'm going to do a bunch of fall leaves today for some cakes this weekend. They definitely give you a better all-over color without streaky paint marks, if that's what you're looking for. Having said that, I think it depends on what kinds of cakes you do at to whether you'll use one a lot or not. I do a lot of gumpaste, so I use it for coloring things, but if I didn't do that I don't know if I'd use it so much. It makes really fast work of coloring gumpaste roses, though! And you can get more subtle color gradations with it.

heavensgaits Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 12:34pm
post #4 of 4

I bought an airbrush off of ebay for around $25, it was brand new with a one year warranty. Then I bit the bullet and paid for a compressor that was made for cake decorating; that was the expensive part. I haven't regretted it one bit. As far as teaching yourself; Absolutey! The airbrush is easy to use and figure out and a whole lot of fun. My best friend and i were really grateful we had it when we did our halloween cake. We wanted to make black chocolate roses and after using an entire bottle of black candy color our roses were charcoal gray. I pulled out the airbrush and in just a few minutes we had jet black roses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%