Icing A Pumpkin Shaped Cake

Decorating By Sweetlepea Updated 28 Oct 2008 , 5:29pm by 2girliesmama

Sweetlepea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetlepea Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone, I was asked to make a cake that looks like a pumpkin for a halloween get together at my sisters, with my whole family there.. and she doesnt want fondant. I was going to use the two bundt pans, turned together to form the pumpkin, but does anyone have any advice on how to ice it with BC smoothly, especially with all those creases/indentions around the sides?? Any help would be much appreciated!!

7 replies
lipstickvk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lipstickvk Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 8

I was wondering the same thing last week, so I looked throught many of the pumpkin cakes on this site. I saw that someone had just used the star tip all around the cake and it looked very nice.

LovelyCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovelyCreations Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 8

I would use a viva paper towel and smooth with your hand. Won't be super smooth but should work just fine. HTH!

LovelyCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovelyCreations Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 8

Be sure to use light pressure!

barbydoll8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbydoll8 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 8

I did two last year and I smoothed with warm water and a angled spatula. Let crust over, then double smoothed and textured with a Viva towel.
I then used my fondant tool with the ball at the end to make the indentations in the pumpkin.

Pictures are in my gallery.

Can't wait to see yours!!!

Barbydoll

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 8

I also would smooth it with Viva while gently pushing into the indents from the pan.

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:21pm
post #7 of 8

I just made a pumpkin cake this past weekend. I used two bundt cakes and iced it in buttercream using the icing tip. I started from the center hole and went down each indention from the pan. Once done, I smoothed all over with my spatula, Viva and my sponge roller. It was very smooth for me. However, I must warn you that I lost the indentations from the pan and had to make my own using my fingers after the buttercream crusted. There's a pic in my photos. HTH!

2girliesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2girliesmama Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:29pm
post #8 of 8

I just did one of these and I used a large shell border type tip (bakery crafts # 199). I know you said smooth, but the cake turned out beautifully, was easier than smoothing, and got rave reviews. You could also use a star tip (a large one). Real pumpkins are never smooth so I thought this gave a really cool effect with a lot less hassel( you still get the large ridges and general shape of the pan). I did two old fashioned bundts stuck them together with cream cheese buttercream used the shell tip to ice the orange part. Then I made 3 cupcakes (unwrap them). Place one right side up in the hole; then, place one upside down on top of that one. Then turn #3 upside doen and carve to narrow and stick to the others. I used the same shell tip to ice the green stem as well. I also accented with a leaf tip and tendrils with a #2 and #1 round tip. icon_smile.gif Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%