Help!!!! Doug, Indy, Jkalman, Everybody!! Help!!

Decorating By aundron Updated 29 Oct 2008 , 8:08pm by FromScratch

aundron Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 24

Okay, got a last minute order from somebody (he doesn't mind the extra fees). He plans on buying his wife a car for Christmas, but for her birthday, wants to have the cake look like it's coming out of the cake.

Basically, he wants a black sheet cake, with the fender/front of the car looking like it's coming out of the cake. I can visualize it somewhat, but I can't get a full idea (I totally suck at ideas) icon_redface.gif

Can anyone help me??? PULLEEEEEZZEEEE??? icon_cry.gif

23 replies
aundron Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 24

BUMPing this so I can get some help

aundron Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 24

Anybody?? icon_sad.gif Please, help??

tdybear1978 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 24

I have no idea but giving you another bump

kbw5780 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 24

Think I have seen some sort of cake with something coming out of it on here. Maybe you could place the fender of the car and make it look like it is bursting out of the cake..... make some fondant look like it has been torn to shreds or something around it.....let me look for the pic on here...

282513 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 24

There is a very cute elmo cake in the galleries. He is in a gift package and popping out. I think a car could give you the same effect. When I get some time I will see if I can find it. It is very cute, has curls, etc, looks like the package is breaking open. It is very very cute!

aundron Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 24

Yeah, I had that part in my head, about the fondant looking like shreds, just couldn't get a pretty picture in my head of the cake.

Thank you guys sooooo much for responding!! I'm looking ideas while you all look as well.

tmt Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:01pm
post #8 of 24

I have a diner in my town where the front of a car is coming out of the building. its a 50s type diner, so the cars are classic cars. Depending on the age of the woman, could you do a whole theme around the era?

ccr03 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:02pm
post #9 of 24

On Amazing WEdding Cakes they had a cake similar to what you are talking about. Google Cake Diva Hollywood car cake and see if it helps.

Swede-cakes Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:03pm
post #10 of 24

aundron, Sounds like a neat cake to make!

Has your customer already chosen the car make/model he's going to buy his wife? Does he want the auto maker symbol on the front of the cake's car (hood ornament, symbol, whatever) as if he's giving her a clue? What about color, is that a done deal in real life, and does he want you to use that color on the cake? Or just a generic car?

You could mold the bumper and grille, and about 3"-4"of car body that they'd be attached to, from MMF. Maybe cover oreos in black fondant and set those into the cake for just the front half of the tires coming up.Then I'd also make some black MMF triangle-ish pcs that curve back towards the tip, and arrange them around the car front as if it's blasting thru the icing. Keep the cake/frosting rough right around the car. This is hard to describe...easier to sketch. Grab a pencil and scratch out some ideas, and see what you come up with.

I don't know if you've ever seen a billboard that has a 3-D graphic that's built to look like it's coming out of the sign, and the sign's edges are ragged around the hole? (I saw one with a Rhino coming out of a billboard once) That's what I'm picturing, but I don't know if that's the look you're going for.

Best of luck, and please post a pic when you're done! thumbs_up.gif

DaCakeDiva Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:05pm
post #11 of 24

Do you have a 3d cruiser pan? bake it and cut it in half and put it on top of the sheet cake. Just an idea.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:10pm
post #12 of 24

Like this but replace Elmo with the front of a car.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=58324

MacsMom Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:15pm
post #13 of 24

In the center of the cake (or wherever the fender will be popping out)--before covering the whole cake in fondant--place a piece of black fondant (any color, really) big enough to cover the area of the fender. Cover it with a piece of parchment paper so it won't stick to the fondant you'll be covering the cake with.

After you've covered the cake, take an exacto knife and slice the area above the parchment covered piece into pie wedges. Peel back the corners from the center of the "pie". Pull off the parchment paper.

So you should have torn fondant with the black piece underneath to place your fender on...

Make the fender out of RKTs and stick in into the center of this "torn" area.

Look at the dragon cake by www.MikesAmazingCakes.com
It's on the main page of his galleries link (click on the top left photo on the fornt page of his website)

aundron Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:19pm
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by skichic68

aundron, Sounds like a neat cake to make!

Has your customer already chosen the car make/model he's going to buy his wife? Does he want the auto maker symbol on the front of the cake's car (hood ornament, symbol, whatever) as if he's giving her a clue? What about color, is that a done deal in real life, and does he want you to use that color on the cake? Or just a generic car?

You could mold the bumper and grille, and about 3"-4"of car body that they'd be attached to, from MMF. Maybe cover oreos in black fondant and set those into the cake for just the front half of the tires coming up.Then I'd also make some black MMF triangle-ish pcs that curve back towards the tip, and arrange them around the car front as if it's blasting thru the icing. Keep the cake/frosting rough right around the car. This is hard to describe...easier to sketch. Grab a pencil and scratch out some ideas, and see what you come up with.

I don't know if you've ever seen a billboard that has a 3-D graphic that's built to look like it's coming out of the sign, and the sign's edges are ragged around the hole? (I saw one with a Rhino coming out of a billboard once) That's what I'm picturing, but I don't know if that's the look you're going for.

Best of luck, and please post a pic when you're done! thumbs_up.gif

Yeap, he did tell me which car she wants and yes; it is somewhat a clue for her!!

It's a Nissan Maxima!!

You guys are sooooo awesome!!

aundron Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:21pm
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

On Amazing WEdding Cakes they had a cake similar to what you are talking about. Google Cake Diva Hollywood car cake and see if it helps.

Googling right now!!

UltimateCakes Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:28pm
post #16 of 24

Not sure what a "bump" is but here's to ya! icon_confused.gif

Swede-cakes Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:46pm
post #17 of 24

You know...like to bump the post up into peoples attention again, b/c it's going unnoticed or has no responses. icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:59pm
post #18 of 24

Oh sweetie.. you know you can do it!!! icon_smile.gif

I think you have some great ideas already. I would second making the fender from RKT's.. that way you can lift it up and move it around and it won't fall apart on you. I also like MacsMom's idea about the black fondant and parchment and cutting it so it looks like it bursts through the cake.

aundron Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 6:12pm
post #19 of 24

Jkalman, I'm loving all of these ideas!! I think I might go with the RKT for the fender; only thing is, me and RKT have a love/hate relationship!! icon_redface.gif

I figure I could cover a sheet cake with black fondant and maybe bling it out with dragees!!

I will be adding a set of keys to the cakeboard with the Nissan symbol on it or something like that.

FromScratch Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:29am
post #20 of 24

Awwwwwe... what about the RKT's gives you trouble? So long as you aren't trying to mold them onto a form they usually behave. Since your fender will be a solid object you should be fine. Make sure you pack them in well.. icon_smile.gif

I can't wait to see what you end up doing. icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 2:57pm
post #21 of 24

RKT tips:

~ I've found that omitting the butter is practically necessary and they still taste fine if someone decides to take a bite.
~ Adding a little more RK than th ebox recipe suggests keeps them firmer.
~ Crushing the RKs slightly helps get rid of lumps, and may even add to the palability (should someone want to take a bite).
~ Popping your shape in the freezer immediately after you make it firms it up fast.
~ I make a base shape, then add bits and pieces to "mold" the shape I'm after rather trying to keep smooshing one large lump.

aundron Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 4:07pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Awwwwwe... what about the RKT's gives you trouble? So long as you aren't trying to mold them onto a form they usually behave. Since your fender will be a solid object you should be fine. Make sure you pack them in well.. icon_smile.gif

I can't wait to see what you end up doing. icon_smile.gif

Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong; trying to mold them in to a form. I'm doing the front fender of a 2009 Nissan Maxima, I'm hoping it won't be too much for me.

aundron Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 4:09pm
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

RKT tips:

~ I've found that omitting the butter is practically necessary and they still taste fine if someone decides to take a bite.
~ Adding a little more RK than th ebox recipe suggests keeps them firmer.
~ Crushing the RKs slightly helps get rid of lumps, and may even add to the palability (should someone want to take a bite).
~ Popping your shape in the freezer immediately after you make it firms it up fast.
~ I make a base shape, then add bits and pieces to "mold" the shape I'm after rather trying to keep smooshing one large lump.

Actually, I always use the RKT from the store. It saves time and they work fine!!

I do like your idea of having a base shape.

FromScratch Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:08pm
post #24 of 24

That right there could be the problem though.. the store bought ones are a lot softer than the ones you can make at home. I omit the butter too and crunsh them up as well. It makes them more compact and less apt to fall apart.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%