"red Hat" Cake

Decorating By sugaah Updated 29 Oct 2008 , 11:47pm by mommicakes

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:02pm
post #1 of 8

please tell me how to achieve a true red for the Red Hat Society cake. Is any brand of red coloring better than another? Would air brush technique help hold the true color and not fade to pink? Please advise. THANX

7 replies
bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 8

I did a red cowboy hat out of fondant and airbrushed it with plain old 'grocery store' brand red food coloring. { of course I use a quart size from the wholesale grocer !!!} anyhow, It took 2 coats of the red, and then I highlighted/toned it with a bit of black and it took a really good red color and no fading.

sugaah Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for responding. You used that much color? Did it color the mouth when eaten? Would you suppose a coat of black or brown under the red would help?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 12:18pm
post #5 of 8

kakeladi - that site keeps kicking back an error. Please advise. THANX

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 8
SOULLA13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SOULLA13 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 11:34pm
post #7 of 8

I also did a red cowboy hat and used red fondant called regal ice-check out my photo in the album . x

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 11:47pm
post #8 of 8

I did a red hat cake a while ago, (should be in my pics). I used red when I mixed the icing, and then sprayed w/ wilton red while it was still a little bit wet, I sprinkled it with red sparkles by wilton. It added just a little bit of zip and from what I can remember, it didn't turn anyones mouth totally red, or taste bad. Just my input. icon_smile.gif

Edited to say: It is the larger version of the cake on page 2 w/ the purple fondant ribbon & roses on it. icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%