Need Help Locating Fondant Patterns

Decorating By cylstrial Updated 2 Nov 2008 , 12:52pm by cylstrial

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:50pm
post #1 of 7

Hello all --

I'm in need of two fondant patterns.. really the same thing (one is just bigger).

I'm using the mini-Wilton doll pan and the big Wilton doll pan to create some little gowns. I would like to do this out of fondant and was wondering if any of you have seen a pattern anywhere for this?

Thank you so much!!

6 replies
cylstrial Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 7

nobody knows of any patterns huh?

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 7

I've never heard of a pattern for the dresses. I think most people just freehand them. I did a cinderella a few years ago for my daughter, of course I never got a picture but I just covered the cake with buttercream and then overlayed that with fondant to make the different layers of the dress. I did another one in buttercream later but that wasn't as nice, it's in my photos though. You might want to browse through the galleries and maybe PM a few designers to see if they might offer any advice.

cylstrial Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks! I appreciate the help! I was also thinking about just rolling out fondant that was big enough for the skirt -- and then just cutting a small hole into it and dropping it onto the iced cake. Then inserting the barbie head part.. and decorating. I'll check out your photo's though! Thanks again!!

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 11:01pm
post #5 of 7

That will work for the skirt, but the bodice is best to do a wrap around type thing with.

I cut a large circle with one of my round pans, best large cookie cutter EVER! Then cut a small circle with one of my small cutters, lift over and position so that the hole is over where Barbie's torso will go. Pull and flare the skirt a bit. You dont want it to sit level.

The bodice is best if you cut the bottom in a straight line, and cut the top in a V, or a heart shape, or even a square neckline. Wrap around her torso, and secure with small dots of RI or BC. There will be a seam in the back, but no one is going to notice. Add pearls, jewels, and/or puffy sleeves to make the dress look finished.

HTH

Sandy2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandy2008 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 7
cylstrial Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:52pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you both so much for the info! I am almost done with the second barbie cake. I'll try to post the pictures on here. But they are all white, so I'm sure that a lot of the details will get lost.

Thanks again for your help!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%