Wilton Ribbon Cutter And Embosser

Decorating By zamku Updated 29 Oct 2008 , 10:21am by linedancer

zamku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zamku Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 10:54am
post #1 of 11

I am a newbie and am doing this just as a hobby. Since I have heard many complaints for wilton products, I would like to have advice before I buy the wilton ribbon cutter and embosser set? Is it good for a beginner? Since I do this only as a hobby I do not want to spend a lot of money on expensive products and until now I am quite contented wtih wilton tips and even the gumpaste flower set that I have though it could have been better.
Thanks,

10 replies
RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 12:09am
post #2 of 11

Welcome Newbie!

I bought the Wilton embosser and cutter set and it's not my favorite thing in the world to be honest. I prefer using a very high quality pizza cutter and ruler when making cuts for stuff like ribbon. For other more intricate cuts, I use an Exacto knife set. I don't like the embosser because everything I try to emboss usually sticks to the thing and I find it more hassle than it's worth! Shoot...I rarely use mine...you can have it!!

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:43am
post #3 of 11

I didn't like mine. It didn't cut all the way through and then it broke. This is what you want:

http://www.jenniferdontz.com/viewproduct.php?itemid=cut031

Every time I use it I pat myself on the back for buying it. icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:53am
post #4 of 11

That stupid purple little rooly thingy with the interchangeable discs? I threw mine across the room the first time I used it. Razor blades, Exacto knives and pizza cutters alllllll the way! thumbs_up.gif

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:54am
post #5 of 11

Hate to be so blunt, but I HATED IT, (still do). I could not get it to work at all. The edges were always ragged, the thing stuck, put extra lines in my work, etc.....blah, blah, blah....Of all the Wilton things I have bought, (and that's just about everything they make) this is the one product I definitely regret buying, and we barely used it in class. Borrow someone else's on class night! Don't do it girl!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 3:19am
post #6 of 11

I concur -- it's a POS, if you KWIM. icon_wink.gif

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 3:29am
post #7 of 11

Don't waste the money! It wasn't worth it! The edges come out crooked, jagged, and looks nothing like the picture! The disks constantly fall off the thing while you're using it, causing you to have to start all over again....FRUSTRATING!!!!

I use an extremely sharp knife (I keep it sharpened), exacto, ruler, and pizza cutter. Cheap, replaceable items that actually work!!!

zamku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zamku Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:42am
post #8 of 11

Thanks for the replies, Ladies. I will look into the product you stated, Jsmith. Thanks.

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:56am
post #9 of 11

DON'T DON'T DON'T!!!! I hated mine from the first time I used it!! kids play dough cutters are far better!! Anyway, I use a pizza cutter, and it's perfect.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 9:04am
post #10 of 11

I'm pretty sure you could get 100 shipped to you from those of us that find it on the long list of Wilton crap. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 10:21am
post #11 of 11

I'll add my SAVE YOUR MONEY to all the rest, one of the worst tools I ever bought.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%