Cake Price

Decorating By flowersns3 Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 5:22am by Rocketgirl899

flowersns3 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 9:52am
post #1 of 26

How much would you charge for this wedding cake?
LL

25 replies
Ironbaker Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 26

How many servings? Flavors? Handmade snowflakes? etc... There are so many factors that determine price, including your area. The going rate for some may not be the same for other areas. Some people can't get anymore than $2/serving for BC cakes, others can get $4+.

indydebi Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 26

and what are the sizes of the cakes? Some people say a 10" serves 35 .... others say it serves 20, the size of the cake makes a difference in the responses you'll get.

flowersns3 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 26

Let's say the cakes are 12", 10", 8" and 6" (Pound Cake). All the cakes BC, then covered in fondant, the snowflakes are all handmade.

indydebi Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 26

12/10/8/6 serves 56/38/24/12 (per the wilton chart) = 130 times my standard rate of $3/serving = $390. That's for all BC. If you charge extra for pound cake, add that in. Fondant should be more and handmade snowflakes should definitely have an upcharge. So I think it's in the $500+ (and even +++!) range.

rvercher23 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 26

By the serving chart I use, the old wilton chart, it would feed approx 118 (not including top tier) I would charge 354.00 for the cake itself and then alittle extra for the snowflakes. I am actually doing a cake like this in January for 175 people and I am charging 545.00. Everyones prices are different, you need to figure out what your time is worth on each cake.

flowersns3 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 6:40pm
post #7 of 26

Thank you, any little bit of information helps.

rvercher23 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 6:45pm
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvercher23

By the serving chart I use, the old wilton chart, it would feed approx 118 (not including top tier) I would charge 354.00 for the cake itself and then alittle extra for the snowflakes. I am actually doing a cake like this in January for 175 people and I am charging 545.00. Everyones prices are different, you need to figure out what your time is worth on each cake.

Oh, ok I didnt see where you said fondant covered. Let me change my price. For For fondant I would charge 472.00 that is for the cake alone. Then I would charge about 50-75 dollars for the snowflakes, they will take alot of your time up. very tedious.

Iva1976 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 6:56pm
post #9 of 26

Can someone tell me why wedding cakes seem to have a different price from lets say a tiered birthday or baby shower cake? Is that the norm when it comes to charging for a wedding cake or can I just charge the same price for any tiered cake?

cylstrial Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 7:24pm
post #10 of 26

Wedding cakes are generally a lot more stressful and require a lot more work. There's a lot more detail, most of the time. Wedding cakes generally have to be delivered and set up.. where as you probably don't have to do that for a birthday cake. Just my thoughts..

Malakin Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 7:29pm
post #11 of 26

For the cake above, it will take a lot of time being Fondant covered and just from past experience, it took me a long time just to make a few of those RI snowflakes. You definitely have to plan on making a lot of extra cause half of mine broke.
They say birthday/celebration cakes should be the same price, but I agree, people are usually willing to pay more for wedding cakes.

Ironbaker Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 8:04pm
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by iva1976

Can someone tell me why wedding cakes seem to have a different price from lets say a tiered birthday or baby shower cake? Is that the norm when it comes to charging for a wedding cake or can I just charge the same price for any tiered cake?

You can and many do charge the same per serving price for any kind of cake. I'm still on the fence with that one. On one hand, there are some who include so much more service when it comes to wedding cakes and I understand the bit extra in price. On the other hand, it adds fuel to the issue of people charging more for things just because the word "wedding" is in front of it.

I remember someone on here was upset because a client asked for a "party cake" (thinking it would be cheaper - and it was) and it turned out that the "party" was actually a wedding. They felt cheated. If you are charging one serving price for all cakes you would avoid situations like this.

Iva1976 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 8:17pm
post #13 of 26

Ironbaker, this is my thought exactly....Some of these celebration cakes have so much more detail than alot of wedding cakes I see out there. I think a cake should be priced based upon the diffuculty and time it takes to make and not whether it's a wedding cake or a birthday cake. Just my thought..... icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks everyone!!

AbouttheCake Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 8:30pm
post #14 of 26

I actually made that cake and charged $3.75/serving plus $25.00 for the r.i. snowflakes. The cake is a 5-8-11-14 in size which will serve approx. 140 with the top tier, 132 without. The bride had additional fillings inside, but I started with tmy original base price of $3.75/serving. Also wanted to add that the majority of the snowflakes on the side of the cake are buttercream, just piped on then some had a modified brushed embroidery technique. Only the dimensional snowflakes are royal icing.

Definitely make a lot of snowflakes. They're very delicate and I ended up breaking a good portion of them.

(I also charge the same price for any tiered cake, regardless of occasion.)

calicakequeen Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 8:33pm
post #15 of 26

I always charge the same price, my base price is $2.25 in butter cream and $3.00 in fondant THEN I add more depending on the detail and time that it takes.

ThreeDGirlie Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 9:02pm
post #16 of 26

Not sure on pricing, but that cake is buttercream, is it not? Does the bride want fondant?

indydebi Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 9:21pm
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by iva1976

Mine aren't different. Right on my website, I state, "If it looks like a wedding cake ... it's priced like a wedding cake."

As other CC'ers have said ..... my food suppliers don't charge me a lower price for eggs if I tell them the eggs will be used in a birthday cake!

Birthday moms take up WAY more of my time than brides! If I were to charge a different price, I'd charge more for those stinkin' piddly birthday cakes that eat up more of my time for less money! icon_mad.gif

Rocketgirl899 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:57am
post #18 of 26

i agree.

prices are based on design... but something has to be said about the stress of making wedding cakes..though I stress over everything I make and i just started having paying cutstomers!

gkp_mommy Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 3:23am
post #19 of 26

I know what u mean rocketgirl. I too have just started receiving paying customers. I am so bad at pricing. I have no idea how to charge b/c I don't want to overcharge....I'm still trying to get my business started up....but at the same time I don't want to screw myself over with the amount of time & detail I put into my cakes. Friends & family seem to be the worst too! I mean, I keep giving cut rates for them, I won't ever have a business!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 3:48am
post #20 of 26

im in college and people are like I should ahve you make my cake... i immediatly tell them I am not cheap, I can't make a cake for less that $75 bux.... that usually shuts up em. I tell them a batch of icing alone costs $20.. which it does, and then I gotta factor in time and the cake. I usally start blabbing and they just drop it. I want to make cakes, but I am not in business.... it is a VERY VERY side business/hobby, so I can be picky.

I know friends and family are hard to price for. If i have time I dont mind makeing it for them.. for cost plus alil extra for me.. But I recently made 3-d Pinata cake (see my profile) and it probably cost me $60-75 just for supplies. I spent maybe 10 hours (baking cleaning, shopping, prepping, decorating).

I priced my first wedding cake (friend of a friend) at $3 a serving, plus $25 for flowers, and $40 for a 2-d luau shirt. It's like $285 total I think. The wedding is the 15th but I am still waiting for payment. I was nervous about charging but after she didn't fall off her chair... that helpedicon_smile.gif lol. Plus I would rather say it was going to cost more and lose a sale.. then undersell... I always hated giving a quote right away with out really thinking about it (when I worked in a cake shop). To much pressure. But I think I have to charge @ LEAST $2.5 for supplies and factor in a little profit for me.

gkp_mommy Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 12:56am
post #21 of 26

wow! we sound a LOT alike. i'm also a college student, as well as a full time mom, & i work part time too, so its not much of a business for me either. lately tho, i have been getting some actual paying customers. so it's a "potential business" for me at the moment.

i have been asked to make my first wedding cake too. by a very close friend of mine. im actually going to be in her wedding & she is in mine as well....we're both getting married next yr....but yeah, i REALLY am gonna be stunned at pricing her cake!

rite now i'm trying to sell my cakes at VERY reasonable prices. i figure it's the best advertisement....get the word out, so ppl know that i actually DO this kind of thing. i totally wish i was getting $75 for my cakes!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:18am
post #22 of 26

GKP, man there is no way I could handle a kid and school, and working part time.... no way in heck! Congrats on your next years wedding. As for advice for your friends wedding cake, if you are in the wedding (MOH or Bridesmaid) you might have your hands full already. HAve you thought about a gift for the wedding? Maybe just make her cake? This could add up quick though. If not you could charge her for supplies only... I would make it clear to her EARLY, and keep reminding her that the week before you will help her as much as possible, but will have to devote many hours to the cake. It sounds like you are close, if I were in your shoes, and she was a great friend I would either bake the cake as a gift, or charge her for supplies.

well i haven't got $75 for a cake yet lol...I was paid $50 for the blue tropical cake in my profile just supplies (this was for my best friends bridal shower, and I gifted her the jamaican cake in my profile for her other shower).

But I haven't tried to sell cakes really either. But I, right now, I would rather set my prices a little high for people I don't know. Of course if I WANTED to make the cake for someone and had time it could be less. I read so many horror stories about people being so upset that they "just broke even" or even "lost" money. I can also be more selective. I mean in reality I would do a cake for probably $50. I don't want to sound stuck up, just have a business mindset and I understand oppertunity costs. Is it worth giving up 5-8 hours of time with your baby to get "underpaid" or taken advantage of?

My mindset could change if this was my only form of income. But right now I am good... icon_smile.gif

Best of Luck to you! Hope to "see" you around!

mommyle Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:45am
post #23 of 26

Rocketgirl899 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:49am
post #24 of 26

mommyle... ROTFL
exactly.

we would charge more at my old cake shop, and it was because we had a "wedding only" decorator, but sometimes the designs were simple so our "ocassion" girl would do it, and I am like ok, shouldn't they pay less then?

We would also charge wedding prices if someone wanted a birthday cake to be 3 tiers... weird.

Though weddings usaually have more supports, boards, time and stress...

I charged a flat rate for the grooms cake because it is what i was use to at my old shop, and the bride totally caught me off guard with it!

gkp_mommy Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:03am
post #25 of 26

thx for the advice rocketgirl! i am in the wedding...that's why its so hard to price it for her. i have quoted prices for ppl & underestimated the amt of time i'd put into them. so yeah...i'm def one of those ppl that got screwed! i'm working on trying to quote better prices....but i live in a very small town & ppl around here are so use to just going to wal-mart or the local grocery store for a cake. i can't beat those prices! but their cakes are VERY plain & that's not wut i do. so neway....thx again for the advice. i think imma go check out ur cake pics!

ttyl!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:22am
post #26 of 26

So the wedding cake I charged $285 for... well I have already spent $150 on... (I bought some supplies I can use again, and things like cookies cutters that won't run out, so my total expense is $130).

Not to mention the hours I spent prepping for the consultation, making a sample cake, driving to get supplies (uhh I've made 5 or so trips too many!), researching online how to do stuff, watching and rewatching Sugarshack DVDs... lol.

After all is said and done I will make like 3 bux an houricon_smile.gif

Plus I haven't started baking yet! Zoinks!
I never realized how much a cake costs to make!

Good Luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%