Where Did I Go Wrong???help!

Decorating By amykingsafer Updated 30 Oct 2008 , 4:53pm by CakeInfatuation

amykingsafer Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:39am
post #1 of 13

I've had this problem happen to me twice. I'm using a pillsbury cake mix and for the icing I use powder sugar, crisco, water and flavoring. And it always slides down the cake. And the cake is lop-sided. I really need some advice, I'd like to make a pumpkin for Friday for a local bank and I can't show up with something looking like this. Please help!!!!!

12 replies
lakecake Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:55am
post #2 of 13

For the cake- put slightly less water in the mix than the recipe calls for and bake the cake @ 300 degrees. It takes longer but the cake will come out more level.
For the frosting- Crisco is now made of Soy and it makes the frosting more "runny, less firm" Try 2 sticks of butter, 2 lbs of 10X sugar, 1/2 cup Crisco and 8 tbls milk. Add a few tsp of cornstarch to help firm the frosting. Frost a cool cake (make the cake the night before and put it in fridge) 2 coats (crumb and then an outter coating) and place in fridge for 15 minutes or so to get the buttter to firm up.

Sweetcakes23 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:15am
post #3 of 13

Yea, I agree, it "appears" you could be icing too warm of cakes, but are you putting dowels in the bottom tiers to support the top as well?

Sweetcakes23 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:18am
post #4 of 13

I forgot to ask: Are you also leveling off the top of your baked cakes "after they have cooled"? (The domed part?) That's important to get the real level cake.

amykingsafer Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:19am
post #5 of 13

Yes the cakes were completely cooled. The "sagging" didn't happen till the next day. And I did use dowels and a cardboard round for the top layer. I have no clue what I'm doing icon_smile.gif

Sweetcakes23 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:48am
post #6 of 13

Well, Lakecake had good advice about crumb coating a cooled cake, refrig. for a while, etc.
I usually follow directions, but then bake at 325. I haven't tried the baking at 300...might try that!
Have you watched Sugarshacks DVD's on icing cakes, and buttercream etc.? They really are worth the investment. Very good tips on there.

amykingsafer Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 2:56am
post #7 of 13

No I haven't seen any of the dvd's. One more question though, could my frosting sag because it was too cold, I refrigerated it for a little while then took it out of the frig to let it warm up and once I did use it it still seemed pretty cool.

gimmesuga Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:28am
post #8 of 13

i make my cakes one morning, put them together and crumb coat that evening then let them sit (covered) overnight. The next day I decorate after they have settled. Maybe you are trying to put the icing on to soon after baking and its not completely cooled? also when you stack cakes make sure to use dowel rods in the bottom layer to support the cake so it wont sag. hope this helps!

Jayde Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 10:17pm
post #9 of 13

Try Debi's BC recipe. It uses Crisco, and I never have had a problem with it running before. I sometimes use butter flavored Crisco, in place of the regular. I also sometimes replace the liquid with other things to flavor it differently, but it pretty much yields the same results.

Also, if you are interested in the SPS support system, be sure to pm Leahs with your email address, so that she can send the instructions to you. This is what I would recommend. Its cheap, easy, and totally awesome! Its a series of interlocking plates and pillars that makes stacking cakes so simple. She made me a believer!

Other than that, make sure that if you are doweling, all of your dowels MUST be the same height. I stick them in, use a marker to mark exactly where the cake meets, and then pull it out, snip, and then replace into the cake.

HTH, consider the SPS. Its worth it!

gr8cakemaker Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 10:28pm
post #10 of 13

make sure that your icing is not too thick. Also let the cakes sit for a while to cool, crumb coat, then let them sit again. Cakes do ALOT of settling, so letting them sit gives them time to do that. HTH and good luck on the pumpkin!!!

lindambc Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 10:42pm
post #11 of 13

I'm not sure about any of the other CCers, but the Pillsbury boxed mixes don't work well for me. I use Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker. I usually add something to the mix to make it a bit more homemade. I know most Wilton stuff isn't worth using but I have never had any problems with their buttercream frosting recipe. I make it the pure white frosting, omitting butter and using all shortening with butter flavor.

Hope that helps.

Rikki0422 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 10:50pm
post #12 of 13

I have been using the exact same things for years, at one point I had the same problem but the solution was increasing the amount of crisco used for the icing. Since crisco has changed I have had better luck with the great value brand. Hope this helps!

CakeInfatuation Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:53pm
post #13 of 13

I always use Betty Crocker and I've found that I always have a disaster if my icing isn't dry enough. By dry enough I've found that whether it be buttercream with shortening or cream cheese icing, you sometimes have to add more powdered sugar that the recipe calls for to get a consistency that will crust, be stable, and spread. I'm learning it is a learned art to "know" when the icing is right but if it isn't right, things sag, squish, slide and get downright difficult to work with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%