Please Help! Gumpaste Dipped In Chocolate?

Decorating By zookeeper8 Updated 29 Oct 2008 , 1:19am by Win

zookeeper8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zookeeper8 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 9

I'm doing a cupcake tower for a wedding this weekend. She wanted fall leaves to put on the cupcakes. So I bought a box of fall colored gumpaste leaves, but she now wants the cupcakes to be iced pink and brown. I don't want to be out the $44.oo since they won't take back edible items. Can they be dipped in chocolate? Any other ideas? I don't have much time here. The only other thing I thought of was airbrushing, which I dont have or know anything about (I called the supply stores and asked them too) or brown luster dust, but I don't think it will cover?

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 9

There should not be a problem dipping them in chocoicon_smile.gif
I think I would try luster dust 1st, then if that's doesn't give you the desired results go w/the dipping.

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:22am
post #3 of 9

You can also mix brown icing color mixed with lemon or vanilla extract, or vodka and paint the leaves. I use this technique alot, it looks really good because the paint settles into the lines of the leaves and makes it look even more realistic!

Audraj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Audraj Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:31am
post #4 of 9

When I was doing weddings, I did not allow any changes this close to the wedding - especially if cash had already been spent on items that could not be returned.

zookeeper8 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:20am
post #5 of 9

Thank you. I'll be doing some trial and error tomorrow! I normally wouldn't allow changes either, but she works for us with our son so I'm trying to be nice! icon_rolleyes.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:40am
post #6 of 9

I vote for dusting them in the Lustre Dust. It should not take long, and if you have it on hand, that would be a great solution. Second choice would be painting with Vodka. I think dipping them in chocolate might create problems with "clumping."

zookeeper8 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 2:03am
post #7 of 9

will luster dust cover the colors they already are? green, yellow, orange,

zookeeper8 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 9:29pm
post #8 of 9

OK so I did a couple with paste color and extract. The color isn't bad, but they are different than the other brown ones in there already which are shimmery. If I want to use luster dust, do I do it after the color dries or while its wet or mixed in?

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:19am
post #9 of 9

Let them dry first. I think you'll have good results. I don't see why they all have to be the same... after all there are no two leaves alike in nature anyway. As well, why don't you hit some of the already brown ones with the lustre dust to change them up? That way, nothing is consistent and it looks like you planned it that way all along! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%