To Those Who Have Made A Gift Bag Cake

Decorating By __Jamie__ Updated 28 Oct 2008 , 3:36pm by DianeLM

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a halloween "trick or treat" bag cake and I know I'm going to have issues with my fondant once I get it on there. I want to have the fondant stand up about 2-3 inches above the cake so I can put candy on top of the cake, so it looks like the "bag" is really hollow, with goodies filling it up. My question is...how do I get that fondant to stand up sturdy?

4 replies
mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 5

i would use chocopan or chocolate wrap.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks Vixen. I thought about it, and hubby is bringing some of those old fashioned metal bookends from his work home tonight. Putting a few of those around the edges of the cake and some cardboard strips inside to help it stand up until it dries a bit. Just had to think about it a little longer, I guess!

jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 5

you can either carve your cake so that it dips in the center and has a little bit of a cake ridge at the ends that will support your fondant but not be so intrusive that you can't fill it with candy, you can also do something similar with fondant.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 5

You can make fondant panels in advance. Let them dry, then glue them to the sides of your cake.

Or, you can use pieces of foam sponge or cotton balls or crumpled up tissue from inside and some tall boxes on the outside to prop the fondant up while it dries.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%