Help Me With Wording For A Response Email...

Decorating By sweetcravings Updated 28 Oct 2008 , 10:08pm by disneynutbsv

sweetcravings Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 14

Ok..so here is the situation. Customer orders 28single marshmallow pops for her one childs class and 18double for the other childs class. I emailed her on Oct 21 with the confirmation and total. At that time i told her to let me know by the next day if she wanted to add any additional pops as i was going out for supplies the next day. No response from her.
Fast forward to today..email from her saying, "i will pick up the marshmallows on thursday and can you pls add one more marshmallow to her one daughters order, for the teacher"...Ummmm "NO" i'm thinking..the order is done..i'm not remelting all the chocolate, added time for one single marshmallow on a stick because she decided to change her mind two days before pick up. I do have an extra triple pop completed from another order so she can have that if she wants.
So how should i word this without sounding bitchy? I was thinking of something like...
The thursday pickup is fine. Your request for an additional single marshmallow pop is not possible at this late of date but i do have an extra triple marshmallow pop from my other order, you can buy at $1.65 if you so wish. If you would like it pls let me know by thursday so that i can have it pkg'ed for you.

What do you think? How would you word it?

This customer is notorious for changing her mind at the last minute and to be quite honest i'm getting fed up with dealing with it. She has given me alot of business lately but i'm starting to wonder if she is worth the hassle. I want to get the point across to her that i will not be jumping through hoops just because she waits till the last minute to address things.

Suzn

13 replies
cakesbycathy Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 14

Your response is fine. Time she learns she cannot change her mind at the last minute (and the only way she is going to learn that is if you stop letting her.)

sweetcravings Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

Your response is fine. Time she learns she cannot change her mind at the last minute (and the only way she is going to learn that is if you stop letting her.)

Ok, so my DH comes home and i tell him the situation...he says.." just give her the triple pop for free" He says, "you shouldn't nickel and dime her, you have extra laying around that we will probably just eat it. We don't need more junk around here. Give it to her as a kind gesture and just remind her in the future she MUST give better notice or else she may end up short handed. She's given you most of your business since you started selling your cakes". I still haven't emailed her back. oh i dunno. I agree she must be made aware that this can't happen again.

disneynutbsv Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 14

Just wanted to say I just looked at your site and your marshmallow pops look fabulous!! They are my kids favorite things to get when we go to Disney. How much do you charge for them if I may ask?

sweetcravings Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutbsv

Just wanted to say I just looked at your site and your marshmallow pops look fabulous!! They are my kids favorite things to get when we go to Disney. How much do you charge for them if I may ask?

Well, I offer three different sizes..single (one marsh), double (two) and triple (three). single pops..$1.25
double.........$1.45
triple...........$1.65
They come in a bakery box. If they want them bagged with curly ribbon it's an additional .50cents each.
I just got one order for 48 triple pops, and the woman didn't flinch at the cost. The other order i'm talking about in the post was for 18doubles, and 28singles.
I did read in another thread where someone puts their marshmallows on colored straws to make them more interesting. They did make reference to disney. But if i recall correctly disney and other places charge significantly more for theirs. I wish someone would pay 6.00+dollars on one of them but that is wishful thinking around here. Even when i finished my marshmallows..esp the single pops i thought to myself maybe 1.25 is too much for the single marshmallow...that thought lasted only a moment when i quickly remembered how much work it was to dip each one and pipe on all the details. Clearly these customers were willing to pay for them.

Tiababe Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:00am
post #6 of 14

I don't know about giving her the free marshmallow pop. Seems like a reward for her forgetfullness. What if next time she "forgets" to order a few extra cupcakes? Do you want to set up that precedent? Sure, it is one left over, but you still paid for the ingredients and spent the time making it. I think your original e-mail is fine.

SugarFrosted Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:13am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

Ok, so my DH comes home and i tell him the situation...he says.." just give her the triple pop for free" He says, "you shouldn't nickel and dime her, you have extra laying around that we will probably just eat it. We don't need more junk around here. Give it to her as a kind gesture and just remind her in the future she MUST give better notice or else she may end up short handed. She's given you most of your business since you started selling your cakes". I still haven't emailed her back. oh i dunno. I agree she must be made aware that this can't happen again.

I agree that your response is fine, and while your husband makes some good points, I think that giving her the triple would only be encouraging her to add "extras" at the last minute in the future. Bad habit in the making.

In my case, my husband thinks I should give my cakes away. He has no idea how much I want to strangle him when he says that. He gives away time, money and effort to Boy Scouts, chess club, coin club...and works 60-80 hours a week. And he does NOTHING at home. Sorry for the rant. I just don't think you should let your husband tell you how to run your business.

cylstrial Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 2:33am
post #8 of 14

I think giving the free pop away is fine. Just make sure that you get your point across.

Goodluck with your decision!

Deb_ Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 2:50am
post #9 of 14

If this woman makes a habit of changing her mind and adding things at the last minute the only way to change that is to not accept her changes after the set date.

I would reply with.......While I wish I could honor your request for an extra pop I regret that the deadline for changes to your order was the 22nd of Oct. I am completely sold out of these items.

That way she'll know the next time she may want to order 1 or 2 extras.

If you keep accomadating her, she'll keep doing it. Sometimes these customers need for us to groom them into being nice obedient clients icon_lol.gif

sweetcravings Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:13pm
post #10 of 14

Well, after alot of thought this is what i sent her....

.Pick up time on Thursday 2:30pm is fine with me.

Your request for an additional single marshmallow pop is not possible at this late of date as my Halloween orders are already completed. I do however have an extra triple marshmallow pop from my other order. If youâd like you can have that one at the $1.65. That would give you the 29 you are looking for. It would just be a little different than the single ones. If you would like me to add the triple pop to your order please let me know by Thursday so that I can have it packaged for you and ready to go.

Talk to you soon,
Suzanne

I kept thinking about it and felt that if i don't treat myself like a business no one else will either. You couldn't walk into a bakery and get something for free because you changed your mind at the last minute right? So i decided to charge her. As much as i want her future business i don't want her to think that she can randomly change her mind at the last minute and expect me to jump through hoops.
Thanks everyone for your advise on the matter. Dkelly..i wish i had seen your post before i responded to the emal. Yours sounds more professional. Oh well, i guess i have to work at that.

Suzanne

costumeczar Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 2:02pm
post #11 of 14

That response was totally fine, and your thought about treating yourself like a business is 100% correct!!! Tell your husband that it's the same thing as if his boss asked him to stay late for an extra hour without pay, since he's already been working all day anyway.

Deb_ Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 8:35pm
post #12 of 14

I agree with costumeczar, your response was great. I know what you mean, sometimes I forget that this is a business too, with both of my jobs. I've always had a problem with pricing and asking for more money, I need chutzpah to knock some sense into me icon_wink.gif

sweetcravings Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 10:04pm
post #13 of 14

Well, i got a response from the customer..she will buy the extra triple pop.

disneynutbsv Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 10:08pm
post #14 of 14

Great! Glad it all worked outicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%