Dark Brown Buttercream Help!

Decorating By dcordova Updated 28 Oct 2008 , 3:34pm by nhanifan

dcordova Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 10

How do I get dark brown (chocolate color) without adding chocolate? I don't want to alter the flavor.

thanks!

9 replies
UltimateCakes Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 10

Use lots of brown coloring. Americolor or Wilton is a safe bet.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 10

Americolor is probably better, but I did a wedding cake dress (in my photos) and it was all Wilton Brown gel. I think I might have used 2 - 3 jars to get it that dark.

cupcakemkr Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 10

similar to black, using gel colors, you can start with a different color base and then work brown into it, like green, red & yellow then add the brown. Using brown itself it will take a whole lot to make dark brown and the taste will be off. Color your icing the day befre you need it, the color will deepen with time and keep it out of the sun because it can fade too. Also remember that adding a lot of color to your icing will change the consistancy - it is like adding more liquid and will be thiner - maybe start with a thicker icing and then add the color and thin as necessary after you have acheived the color you want.

sorry if this is too much info at once.

Good luck with your cake!

Rebelady Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 10

I use americolor all the time. I have a family that loves the look of chocolate icing but likes white on white cake!! It takes more of the Wilton gel but it will work also. Just make it ahead of time so it has time to get as dark as you want!!!! thumbs_up.gif

dcordova Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks for all your help!

nhanifan Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 10

I have done this I add lots of brown then I add red and purple till I get the color I want. With doing this I have gotten the dark brown color like in the center of sunflowers. Hope that helps.

sweetneice Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 10:20pm
post #8 of 10

I just dumped a whole bottle of buckeye brown in mine and it came out perfectly dark brown! thumbs_up.gif

BakingGirl Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 10:29pm
post #9 of 10

Maybe you can start with a brown sugar buttercream, then add the brown colour, that way you probably need less colour to get it brown.

nhanifan Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:34pm
post #10 of 10

Is the buckeye brown a wilton color or another brand?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%