Have Cake Idea Need A Few Pointers

Decorating By duckybabe Updated 27 Oct 2008 , 7:35pm by AlamoSweets

duckybabe Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 4

Hi I am wanting to make a 3D Cross cake and basically having it stand up. I know I am going to need a board and a rod screwed into the base for support. I plan to do that and then make square cube cakes and stack them with the poll going up the middle. Once it gets to the height of the cross bar piece there will be another board with a hole in it to hold the other cube cake pieces that go across and then I will add the last few cubes on top to finish off the cross.
My question is what kind of cake should I use to keep it sturdy and so it wont sink on me and is buttercream a good icing as the base coat before the fondant is put on? Also how wide around should I make the cubes so it would be sturdy because I cant find a pan that is a cube? So would I use a 3 in deep pan and then cut the cubes from that and then stack it?
Should I wrap the cross in pieces of fondant and smooth the edges or could it be done in one big piece?
Thank you so much.
Jenny

3 replies
tonimarie Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 4

wow! very ambitious. sorry I can't give any advice. bump to the next person icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 4

Oh, Lordy....where's Doug when you need him?

AlamoSweets Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 4

My prayers are with you! I certainly wouldn't attempt it but it sounds like you have a good idea. The 3 inch cut into 3 inch cubes sounds good to me. I would suggest the WASC cake. It is sturdy but a pound cake might be even better. It would be hard to wrap it in fondant plus it would add weight. Good luck and please remember to post the picture. I can't wait to see it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%