Stacked Cakes - Quick Question

Decorating By jcaste Updated 28 Oct 2008 , 5:35am by ginger6361

jcaste Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcaste Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 5

I will be making a cake tonight & it will be 2 stacked cakes. Now my question is.... do I need some type of support in between since they will be a bit heavy with the fondant

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 5

I would put a cardboard separator inbetween the 2 tiers and also dowel the bottom tier. I did a pumpkin Friday with 2 bundt cakes and didn't dowel-bad mistake. It looked beautiful, but the next morning the top tier had settled and the fondant ended up with a ridge around the middle. icon_mad.gif

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 5

Definitely want to dowel/straw support it. The weight will crush your bottom tier. I always dowel/cake board all stacked cakes (or even real tall 3D cakes). Nothing worse than spending all the time making it and you get a pancake for a bottom tier!

If you have never done a 2 tier cake, just make sure (with using fondant to cover), to cut the top cake tier board a little smaller (or exactly the same size) than the circumference of the cake since you don't want a larger board sticking out of your fondant. If you don't have dowels or a way to cut them, you can use straws, but I prefer dowels or something "sturdier".

Good luck, it's a piece of cake!

jcaste Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcaste Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 5

Thank You so much for your quick replies ladies. =) I will make sure to take a swing by the store & get some items.

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:35am
post #5 of 5

Sprinkle some powdered surger between your stacks too..It will help not stick so you can seperate when serving.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%