Can I Use This Wilton Plate?

Decorating By bostonterrierlady Updated 28 Oct 2008 , 1:40am by terrylee

bostonterrierlady Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 9

I am making a 10 in with a 6in cake on top. Can I use the Wilton cake plate or will it not provide the support needed? Of course I do not want it to crack the icing or cake.

8 replies
Rocketgirl899 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 9

make sure you dowel the cake.

leah_s Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 9

Are you talking about a separator plate? It would be better to use several cake boards stacked then wrapped in cake foil (not aluminum foil.)

kakeladi Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 9

With proper support/dowling yes, you can use that plate.
Now let's talke about thaticon_smile.gif It will have 'knobs' on one side that fit into pillars.....what are you going to doabout those? Just ;ush them into the cake? cut them off? let the stick up, covering them somehow - maybe w/flowers?
What leahs suggest is probably the best answer.

bostonterrierlady Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:03am
post #5 of 9

What I meant was a 12 inch cake plate on the bottom as my base. The 2 layer 10 in on top of the cake plate. Then the second layer 2 layer 6 inch. Is the plate strong enough so that it will not bow and crack my cake?

leah_s Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:13am
post #6 of 9

We still need to know if you're askinng about a separator plate or something else.

bostonterrierlady Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:48am
post #7 of 9

Yes the Witon 12in seperator plate

leah_s Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:21am
post #8 of 9

I would not use a separator plate as the bottom plate. They are not made for that use and will not really provide support.

terrylee Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:40am
post #9 of 9

You can use the wilton plate and dowel sets. The are quite strong and will be fine. If I stack cakes I cut the dowels the height of the cake so the plate, when the dowels are thru the cake, sits directly on the cake. For stacks cakes I use a 6" plate for a 6" cake, 8" plate for a 8" cake....etc. But I always use the combination. I have a little saw and miter box just for my cake cut the plastic dowel to size.

Quote by @%username% on %date%