Can I Use This Wilton Plate?

Decorating By bostonterrierlady Updated 28 Oct 2008 , 1:40am by terrylee

bostonterrierlady  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 9

I am making a 10 in with a 6in cake on top. Can I use the Wilton cake plate or will it not provide the support needed? Of course I do not want it to crack the icing or cake.

8 replies
 Rocketgirl899  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 9

make sure you dowel the cake.

leah_s  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 9

Are you talking about a separator plate? It would be better to use several cake boards stacked then wrapped in cake foil (not aluminum foil.)

kakeladi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 9

With proper support/dowling yes, you can use that plate.
Now let's talke about thaticon_smile.gif It will have 'knobs' on one side that fit into pillars.....what are you going to doabout those? Just ;ush them into the cake? cut them off? let the stick up, covering them somehow - maybe w/flowers?
What leahs suggest is probably the best answer.

bostonterrierlady Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:03am
post #5 of 9

What I meant was a 12 inch cake plate on the bottom as my base. The 2 layer 10 in on top of the cake plate. Then the second layer 2 layer 6 inch. Is the plate strong enough so that it will not bow and crack my cake?

leah_s Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:13am
post #6 of 9

We still need to know if you're askinng about a separator plate or something else.

bostonterrierlady Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:48am
post #7 of 9

Yes the Witon 12in seperator plate

leah_s Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:21am
post #8 of 9

I would not use a separator plate as the bottom plate. They are not made for that use and will not really provide support.

terrylee  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:40am
post #9 of 9

You can use the wilton plate and dowel sets. The are quite strong and will be fine. If I stack cakes I cut the dowels the height of the cake so the plate, when the dowels are thru the cake, sits directly on the cake. For stacks cakes I use a 6" plate for a 6" cake, 8" plate for a 8" cake....etc. But I always use the combination. I have a little saw and miter box just for my cake stuff..to cut the plastic dowel to size.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%