Smarties On Wires?

Decorating By peacenique Updated 28 Oct 2008 , 1:53pm by archanac

peacenique Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 13

I'm making one of those Kit Kat wrapped Smarties cakes for the weekend. I'm wondering if there's some secure way to attach Smarties to wires to have them exploding out of the cake. I've done and can do fondant balls on wires, but I'm wondering about Smarties.

Thanks!
Maija

"When you eat your Smarties, do you eat the red ones last? Do you suck them very slowly, or crunch them very fast? Eat those candy-coated chocolates, but tell me when I ask, when you eat your Smarties, do you eat the red ones last?"

(Gotcha singing, didn't I?! LOL)

12 replies
cakequeen50 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 13

At first I thought about making a tiny ball of gumpaste/fondant and using the Smarties to "enclose" it. Applying gum glue to adhere them, then not sure about the gum glue disintigrating the sugar of the Smarties, I then thought that you can lay down a smartie, lay the wire on top, put royal on it and place the other smartie on top. Kind of like a wire sandwich, royal is mayo and the Smarties are the bread!
When it dries, you can stand them up

Cakechick123 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 13

I like the "sandwich" idea, that could work, also you can heat the tip of your wire over a candle and once its red hot stick it into the smartie, it will melt the chocolate and then cool. Sticks like glue! I do that to my fondant balls. However I will not allow people to eat that, but if you are prepared to lose a few smarties this should be the fastest and easiest way icon_smile.gif

alidpayne Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 13

Ok, so apparently smarties in the states are different than smarties elsewhere. Here we have smarties that are like little sweet tarts that come in a little roll. When I was a kid we used them when we played Dr., they were the "pills" lol.

From the other answers you have gotten and a quick google search I am assuming that the "smarties" you are talking about are more like M&M's? If so, I agree with riana that heating the wire is probably going to be the easiest way to do this.

cakequeen50 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 13

The only smarties I know of are like the "little pills" that alidpayne spoke of. I guess I am just out of the "candy loop"!

scrapperjade Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 8:56pm
post #6 of 13

Yeah, Smarties in Canada and the US are totally different. The Smarties up here in Canada are like M&M's, but with sweeter, smoother chocolate inside (made by Nestle). The Smarties in the US are like the "Rockets" we have up here (little sugar candies in rolls).

ziggytarheel Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 13

I had to giggle. A few years ago we stopped at a McDonalds near Calgary and saw that they had Smartie Blizzards. They were all incredulous and quite relieved when they found out that all Smarties are not the same. icon_smile.gif

archanac Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 9:14pm
post #8 of 13

Does it have to be Smarties? Why not take those candy necklaces and cut the string and use the candies in place of the Smarties to put through the wire(s)?

archanac Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 9:30pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by archanac

Does it have to be Smarties? Why not take those candy necklaces and cut the string and use the candies in place of the Smarties to put through the wire(s)?

Ok, the original poster was from Canada, and therefore, she was talking about the M&M-like smarties. Ignore my last post.

Cakechick123 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 9:43pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapperjade

The Smarties up here in Canada are like M&M's, but with sweeter, smoother chocolate inside (made by Nestle).

that is the type we have in South Africa as well icon_smile.gif

peacenique Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 10:37pm
post #11 of 13

Are those little Hershey candy-coated bits of chocolate in the States? I believe Smarties are more like those than M&Ms. Smarties are flatter than M&M's. I think too, the candy coating on Smarties is thinner therefore not as hard as M&Ms or the Hershey things. (could they be called Choco Buttons?)
LOL I don't know where that thought came from!

Sorry, I knew Smarties were not in the States, I just didn't think when posting my question.

The reason I specifically want Smarties on wires is because I'll be filling the top with them. I think it would look awesome to have it look like they were also exploding out of the cake.

I'll try heating the wire as suggested. I'm wondering if that will secure them enough so they don't just slip off when in transit.

I'm going to try a two tier topsy turvy cake with only the top tier being surrounded with the Kit Kats and filled with Smarties. Not sure what I'll do on the bottom tier. I was wondering if Smarties simply stuck onto the side will stay put or slide. I'll be using smbc. (I think I'll try Jeanne's this time.)

Unfortunately, the ideas always look better in my head than they do when I attempt to create them... but that's a whole other topic.

peace,
Maija

So... ummmm... most people that are reading my question are NOT stuck with the Smarties jingle in their heads, eh?!
"When you eat your Smarties do you..."

alidpayne Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:22am
post #12 of 13

OMG now I have to find the jingle. Since we don't have them here I have never heard it, but you have me so curious now. lol

I think the idea of having them "explode" out of the cake is an amazing idea. You have to do it!

archanac Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:53pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacenique

So... ummmm... most people that are reading my question are NOT stuck with the Smarties jingle in their heads, eh?!
"When you eat your Smarties do you..."

tehehee. nope, that jingle did not stick in my head. icon_smile.gif And I just thought you took some happy pills (just kidding!) because American smarties are muted pale colors--they have pink ones but no red ones.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%