Eat Or Not To Eat

Decorating By momma28 Updated 27 Oct 2008 , 11:55pm by leah_s

momma28 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 8

So I made my first fondant covered cake for my friends daughter at homechurch. Up until now I have only used fondant as an accent. I am first and foremost a baker so I love the reactions I usually get about the flavor of my cakes. This time though I watched in horror as each and every person peeled off the fondant (a mix of white choc leather and white choc fondant made with ghiardelli compounding chocolate so no low quality ingredients here) and put it to the side of their plate as they ate the rest of the cake. They loved the look but missed my white choc cream cheese buttercream and didnt care for the texture of the fondant.

I wish there was a fondant that people actually wanted to eat and that melted in your mouth instead of having that chewy consistency that noone seems to appreciate. icon_sad.gif

7 replies
bashini Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 8

I think its a personal preference. I don't like to eat the fondant, but my son loves it. He would eat that without the cake. And I know lot of children love to eat fondant. icon_smile.gif

pastryjen Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 8

I love fondant and so do my kids - a lot of others don't. What can you do?

Please feel free to forward the leftover fondant you have there (not the bits discarded from the cake eaters though!)

momma28 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 8

I dont mind fondant (especialy mine icon_smile.gif ) so i get frustrated but oh well. if i could master the`edges on a cake smoothed with viva i guess this wouldnt be an issue icon_biggrin.gif

sari66 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 8

I like the taste of fondant especially satin ice. I just did a cake over the weekend for a customer who never ate fonant before and today she sent me a message telling me how much everyone loved the cake with the fondant. I guess it's to each their own..

cupcakemkr Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 8

I prefer eating frosting over fondant but my oldest son LOVES eating MMF, I have to hide it from him. Everyone is different. Some people just don't know what it is and after you tell them is basically all sugar they'll try it, not all will like it though. If if pains you to see it removed then just keep using it as accent rather than cover.

Chippi Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 9:51pm
post #7 of 8

Momma.........try Marshmallow Fondant.....I did this past weekend and its awesome compared to regular fondant and it does melt in your mouth. I will never use regular fondant again. icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:55pm
post #8 of 8

I don't have a problem with customers eating SatinIce. they do like it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%