I Learned Something New

Decorating By CNCS Updated 27 Oct 2008 , 8:02pm by imakecakes

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 9

Last night I noticed I was almost out of black color so I made a walmart run.
I get there and there is only 1 black icing color left i grab it and start rooting around under the display and looking to see if maybe there is an extra tucked away somewhere.

Hubby is with me and he always knows somebody and finds anyone to talk to. Well its a good thing this time cause it's dd's elem art teacher asking how dd is doing in college ect.

She asks what I'm making and I tell her black icing for a cake but they dont have enough black color for me to use.

She walks over to the dispay and starts pulling out colors and say here this is all you need. in case yo run short.

You can mis it as you need it.

She had royal/navy blue, christmas red and a yellow.

She said yes it will work to stretch your black. Just mix and add until you have what you need.

I tried it it works!!!!!!! Not only that I didnt need a ton of black, just that 1 container and not all of it.

8 replies
okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 9

THANKS! School colors in my town are black and white and I am always running out of black!!

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 9

I kept thinking as I was making my icing this isnt going to work. So I started with the blue added some red then yellow. It slowly mixed with the icing and it was kinda you know bluey-purpley ugly...then as I added the black there it was all neat and nice.

Not only did I use less straight black I now see mixing colors in a different light.
I guess I need to play with color more often and figure out what can be mixed for what.

I see using dark colors and playing with it will get you a long way in a pinch especially black.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 9

thanks for the tip!!! Great idea!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 9

I just learned on CC a couple weeks ago a great way to make black. You know all those small amounts of left over colors that you don't need? Well, mix those all together and you'll get an ugly camo green. It takes less black added to that green color to come up with a black color. Now I have a ziplock bag in my fridge that I keep adding small amounts of colored bc to so that when I need black, I can just pull that out and use it.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 7:40pm
post #6 of 9

I put all my left over colors in a container in the freezer then when I need black I just add a little black to all the colors and presto I have black.

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 9

jammjenks: This is exactly how I do it all the time, you can also make brown color by mixing all the colors together. Whatever I'm doing, whether it's mmf, royal icing or Butterream, I do all the colors, and keep the black or the brown for last, then I mix the left overs together and add a little brown, or black, depending on what I need, and Voila!!

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 8:01pm
post #8 of 9

That's a great tip, Thanks!!! I'll tuck it away if someone ever insists on black vanilla frosting.

I always make my black starting with dark chocolate icing-I have to use very little black coloring and it tastes a lot better IMO.

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 8:02pm
post #9 of 9

That's a great tip, Thanks!!! I'll tuck it away if someone ever insists on black vanilla frosting.

I always make my black starting with dark chocolate icing-I have to use very little black coloring and it tastes a lot better IMO.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%