Confetti Inside Cake

Decorating By heavenlytiers Updated 29 Oct 2008 , 12:52am by kdosreis

heavenlytiers Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 9

I am desperate! I have to make a wedding cake on the 8th of November. I went to the Wilton discussion forum, and someone said add one 4 serving pack of pudding mix and an extra egg and that would make the mix dense, and the confetti would be mixed throughout the batter....welllllllll.....guess what, didn't work! Made perfectly good sense, but it was a no go...the confetti was on the bottom and on the top, but not in the middle...PLEASE...SOMEBODY HELP!!!!!! I have been trying to figure this out for 3 months!!! Just found this site last week...If you have made a cake with confetti inside...please, please, tell me how...what did you use... what type of confetti also....I am making it from scratch...the box confetti cake is tooooooooo soft...and yes I do know it has to be supported by dowels, but I am not a fan of boxed cakes...thanks so much! This cake is going to be for my daughters friend... 16", 12" 8", 6" it's gott be right!! icon_cry.gif

8 replies
ski Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 9

I know you want it from scratch, but you might try using a single box with your scratch recipe, just to get that funtetti. As for the pudding, it really depends on the mix if using box, I have found that for anything I want dense I use modified Betty crocker cake, with very little pudding mix added. With Duncan Hines I go with 1/3 box small, on the white cake and !/4 box on dark cakes. Duncan produces a more moist cake, but I haven't had the density luck as with Betty.Again, you can always tweak your box mixes for a more personal "from scratch" taste. At least you can somewhat guarantee the end result. good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

lapazlady Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 9

By all means include a box of Funfetti with your home made cake. Make your regular cake and make a Funfetti, following the directions on the box, mix them together. (I'm surprised you had problems with the confetti settling to the bottom. Perhaps, the cake mixture is "thin", thus allowing the "heavier" confetti to settle.) Be careful when adding a box of pudding, there are times when the cake will be far to moist and you'll loose the firmness you desire. Did you try a sponge with the confetti?

mommyle Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 9

I've made white cakes from scratch with no problem. Add in one tube of the round rainbow sprinkles by CakeMate (or the equivalent of another brand) for every 4 cups of batter. Just fold it in quickly as they melt pretty fast. I've NEVER had a problem with that. HTH

leah_s Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 9

ditto. Work fast as they start to dissolve. But I haven't had an issue wih confetti.

msulli10 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:52pm
post #6 of 9

What if you toss your confetti lightly with some flour before mixing it in your cake batter? I've read that this works with other mix-ins/

heavenlytiers Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 9

thanks for all the replies so quickly....someone else said add the funfetti box mix with mine .....
mommyle....when you said you used one tube...per 4 cups...maybe I haven't been adding enough confetti...I used only about 1/4 cup per my mix which yields about 7 cups... could you send your receipe to my e-mail...! Karen

missmeg Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:11pm
post #8 of 9
Originally Posted by leahs

ditto. Work fast as they start to dissolve. But I haven't had an issue wih confetti.

Completely. I've used all sorts of rainbow sprinkles in cakes, and have never had an issue. Fold them into your batter last, and don't waste time pouring them into the pans.

kdosreis Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 12:52am
post #9 of 9

I had a birthday girl request yellow cake with confetti in it. To my dismay, I realized after I had put my cakes in the oven for about 5 or so min that I had forgotten to add the darn confetti (pastel jimmies/sprinkles)! I took a gamble, pulled the cakes out of the oven poured the confetti on top and stirred it in and put them back in the oven. The cakes came out perfect and the confetti was just how I hoped it would be. I don't know if the baking for a few min first helped or not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%