Seasoned Opinions

Decorating By saberger Updated 28 Oct 2008 , 12:26pm by saberger

saberger Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:06pm
post #1 of 12

I will be making my first 3 or 4 tier cake in 3f weeks and have a few options with the design. It's for the 50th of my friends' in-laws. The only things that I NEED to incorporate are 5 red roses on top, some crosses, and their monogram. She originally wanted 4 tiers, but that would be way too much cake for the amount of people they are having. So we went down to 3 tiers.

I am thinking that this particular cake design that I have in my head would look REALLY good as a 4 tier, so I thought of using a dummy for either the top or the bottom.

If I use it for the top, then I wouldn't have to worry about how to get the roses to stay and all of that, and the couple could keep it, maybe? If it is the bottom tier, then I could start working on the design NOW.

Which one is better to do? Top or bottom and why?

11 replies
sweetbn Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 12

Did you give the customer the option if they wanted to have a dummy tier when you pointed out that four cake tiers would be too much cake?

saberger Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 12

no, not at the time because I honestly didn't think of it. But I did mention it to her recently and she said that I can do whatever I want. $ isn't really the issue in regards to this.

sweetbn Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 12

I would make the top tier a dummy tier then because it sounds like it will make your life easier icon_smile.gif

saberger Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 12

If I did the bottom tier as a dummy, would it offer more stability?

Cakepro Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 8:03pm
post #6 of 12

The next-to-the-bottom tier would be the only cake enjoying more stability if it were sitting directly on a dummy cake, but if you dowel successfully, you shouldn't have any problems making the bottom tier cake. The stability would be provided by your dowels. I would make the top tier a keepsake dummy tier and let the other three tiers be cake. You could get that whole top tier out of the way well ahead of time.

leah_s Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 12

There is a vast difference in the numbers of servings lost between a top tier versus a bottom tier. How many actual servings to do actually need?

KoryAK Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 8:48pm
post #8 of 12

That's exactly what I was going to say, Leah. If you make the top tier a dummy... then it seems like a lot more hassle than just baking a 6" cake. If you make the bottom tier one, that would make some sense. Do realize tho, that the styro will likely cost you the same as cake ingredients and they can always send it home w ppl, whereas styro will be in the trash.

saberger Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:16pm
post #9 of 12

She needs enough for about 50-75 people and understood that there would be left over with the three tiers (10, 8, 6). She has a big family and they LOVE cake. Again,$ isn't the issue on this. She only gave me a couple of things that she definitely wants on the cake, but the rest is really up to me. It was just an idea to add a dummy - but if it doesn't work out, then that is fine.

It will be the first time I will be doing anything bigger then a two tier and the first time I will be doing big gum paste roses (5 of them) maybe I should leave it for another time? Am I trying to do too much?

indydebi Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:23am
post #10 of 12

I would rather ice a 14" styro than I would a 6" or a 4" styro. (Gawd, just SHOOT me if I ever voluntarily do a 4" styro ever again!).

I like having the bottom tier styro because then I can go ahead and put the next tier (real cake) on that one and the cake is partially assembled.

I like having the larger, bottom tier styro because I like the look of a BIG cake .... I think wedding-cake-style cakes should be the grand centerpiece of whatever event it is ..... if it's going to be 4 tiers, I'd prefer to make 4 big tiers of 14/10/8/6, instead of 4 little tiers of 10/6/8/4.

Just my personal preference....... icon_rolleyes.gif

jammjenks Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:25pm
post #11 of 12
Originally Posted by indydebi

I like having the bottom tier styro because then I can go ahead and put the next tier (real cake) on that one and the cake is partially assembled.

I agree with this. Anytime I can get by w/o having to bake a large tier like that, I would. I bake in a home oven and it would save me a ton of time to styrofoam that bottom one.

saberger Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:26pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you so much! I got Sugarshack's Stacking dvd - do I just assemble it that way...with the dowel straight down the middle? Otherwise, how would the bottom tier "hang on". Sorry if this sounds naive....but as I mentioned, I've never done anything higher than 2. Any tips?

Quote by @%username% on %date%