Help Me Figure This Out???

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 2 Nov 2008 , 1:11pm by cylstrial

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 12

I'm making a 1st Birthday Cake as a gift for my nephew's Birthday.

He was born November 3rd and his party is November 1st. Thought I'd do a seasonal cake as he's right between Halloween and Thanksgiving.

The banner will read "Happy 1st Birthday Punkin'"

I'd like to do a 9" round layer cake with a pumpkin cake topper. I'm thinking that I'd like to sculpt a baby sitting in a pumpkin on the top and have it double as the smash cake.

Can't find anything online or in the gallery that is similar to what I'd like to do. I'm looking for ideas on the best way to accomplish this.

I think I saw mini bundt cake pans at AC Moore. If I made the top pumpkin out of 2 mini bundt cakes and then put them together could I stick the baby in that and have it look like a pumpkin and be stable enough to stand a 45 minute drive and being removed from the cake to be placed in front of baby?

Also... was thinking WASC but due to allergies no Almond. Can any recommend a good icing for this (flavored) that isn't traditional buttercream? I've had more than enough buttercream and can't stand the thought of one more bite! ha ha

Would an icing that has pumpkin puree be good with WASC minus the A? Please share any ideas or suggestions that would make this cake memorable.

My husband suggested fall leaves (out of gum paste) scattered around and maybe writing Gabe's name in the ivy coming off the pumpkin? How would you decorate the bottom cake to tie it together?

Color ideas for the bottom cake?

Thanks in advance!
LL

11 replies
ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 12

Your sketch is cute, run with the mini pumpkin idea, I would just use fondant with extra tylose for quick drying time. As for your figurine in the middle don't trans port with it attach it when you get there. you can use SMBC just like BC and it works great under fondant, I have made 3 cakes now with it . It taste fantastic and no BC! You can actually flavor it with almost anything so you don't need to use almond same with your cake, no need for almond, just use vanilla or any othe flavoring.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 12

if you haven't been to this site, check it out www.cakewrecks.blogspot.com Its hilarious!!!

Anyway, this is a cake that they had posted as a great cake. It seems to fit with your sketch, which is a great idea, by the way.

to credit the original designer from the photo, its Highland Bakery in atlanta
LL

CakeInfatuation Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 12

OH WOW!!! That is incredibly AWESOME! I wish I knew how to airbrush! My mind is racing with ideas though!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:35am
post #5 of 12

I really like the design that you came up with Shill.

If you are concerned about the little pumpkin falling off, you could always sharpen a dowel rod and push it thru the mini pumpkin and the cake. The little person can cover up the hole made by the dowel rod when you get there. I always do that... even for a 10 minute drive.

I also love the picture posted by Jillmakescakes. That photo is amazing. =o)

Goodluck with the b-day cake!

CakeInfatuation Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 10:29pm
post #6 of 12

Here's the link to the baby. He and the leaves are finished. For some reason the color seems really washed out to me but it looks better in real life.

I decided that the bottom cake will be a bushel of leaves with the pumpkin and baby sitting inside.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1281906&done=1

CakeInfatuation Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 11:26am
post #7 of 12
alcotth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alcotth Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 12

Wow... This cake is amazing! If you don't airbrush... how did you color the leaves so perfectly if you don't mind my asking??

CakeInfatuation Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 1:22am
post #9 of 12

When coloring the leaves I dye the gum paste a base color then add in the accent colors I want and mix slightly so they are still swirly and not well mixed. Then when you roll it out, you get a really nice natural look. I dusted the leaves with pearl dust to give them a little more life.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:20am
post #10 of 12

Your cake is beautiful! I love the colors! Everything looks so real!!

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:44am
post #11 of 12

Shill! I LOVE your cake! Such a sweet idea and fabulous execution!! Thanks for sharing! icon_lol.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:11pm
post #12 of 12

Your cake turned out GREAT!! The facial features are extraordinary!! Awesome Job!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%