Anyone Here Work At Home?

Lounge By mrsdawnwhite Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 7:04pm by momvarden

mrsdawnwhite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsdawnwhite Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:57am
post #1 of 19

Anyone here work at home? If so what do you do (other than cakes) ?

Dawn

18 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 19

Up until a few months ago I was working at home as a medical transcriptionist. I now work in a local hospital doing MT.

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 19

I work at home as a babysitter, but only for another week! All of my kids are now in scholl full time and I decided it's time for me to do something else!
Michelle- I was thinking about medical transcription.....did you take courses at a local college, or an online program? And -- was it hard to find jobs working out of your home?
TIA --- Margo

MichelleM77 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 19

I was lucky enough to already work in the medical records department at a local hospital and I asked to be trained. Most hospitals outsource (either to US outsourcing companies or overseas) now and so I worked at home for a few years after that happened with my first hospital and now found a small hospital that is hanging onto their MTs. Fingers crossed! I don't know where you are, Margo, but in Fairlawn is one of the best MT education centers in the US. It's called M-TEC (Medical Transcription Education Center). I didn't go there, but I've heard about it online and it's listed as one of the top places to go. I do believe they have online training if you aren't local.

It's not difficult to find a job, it's difficult to find one that you like. Each company is soooo different. I've only worked for two companies from home and they were like night and day. Each had their own positives and negatives. Pay is also not what most people are used to. You are paid on production, so for a new MT it can be kinda low until you get your speed up. That varies greatly from company to company as well, but the norm is around 7-9 cents per line with a minimum of 1000-1200 lines per day, or 5000 week, etc. If you can type faster, well then obviously you make more money.

Check out www.mtdesk.com . They have a message board like CC and you can get a lot of info about where to take classes, where to get a job, and talk to other MTs.

mlynnb Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 19

Michelle-
Thank you so much for your reply!! I am in in west central ohio (almost smack-dab in the middle) in a very rural area, so working from home would be great! I'll definitely look into the info you gave me! Thanks again, margo

MichelleM77 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 19

No problem. I probably went on and on more than you wanted! LOL! I've heard it's a good job for people in your locale or for military spouses since you can work no matter where you are located.

Forgot to mention one thing about MT companies....they either want you to have 2 years experience or have graduated from one of the top training programs (M-TEC being one). Some companies have mentor programs for MTs with no training/experience. You get paid less, but you basically get on-the-job training. Also, high speed connection is preferred. Most places do not allow MTs to have dial-up or satellite (dial-up too slow to download voice files and satellite not secure).

There I go babbling again. icon_smile.gif

mlynnb Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 7:00pm
post #7 of 19

Babble away--- I'm happy for the info! thumbs_up.gif

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 8:17pm
post #8 of 19

this is a really interesting topic!!! I've been working from home for 5 yrs, since my first daugther was born. I now have three. This is my last week at my current job actually. I should be tying up all my loose ends but instead I'm on CC as usual : ) Anyway, I am a bookeeper for a real estate investor. I keep track of all incoming rent, pay all the bills, charge tenants for services, run the numbers for new purchases, etc. I'm bored though, I'm having trouble concentrating with three little ones running around so I quit. I definitely need another job though, I haven't figured out what though. I was hoping cakes could be a source of income but I haven't found a way to do it legally in my state so it's still just for fun for all my friends. After all the chatter of medical transcription, I'm going to do some research. I see ads in the newspaper for it all the time but I wasn't sure what it was. Thanks for the info!

shanzah67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanzah67 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 3:39am
post #9 of 19

Oh how I wish I could work from home.... icon_rolleyes.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 4:53pm
post #10 of 19

Now that I have experienced it, I'm glad I get out of the house for two days a week to go to the hospital to work. I'm also wishing I had another place to bake and decorate too!

I had cookie orders and two cakes to do last week and my kitchen still hasn't recovered. The boys were banned from the kitchen and that meant eating frozen dinners or Subway a lot for them. My hubby pan-fried a burger the minute I said the kitchen was back open. LOL!

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:45pm
post #11 of 19

My kitchen is the same way EXPLOSION has occured... my guys walk in and say whats for dinner ... I say can you find a flat surface that doesn't have some cake decorating stuff on it. icon_lol.gif I just got done the 3rd big cake in 2 wks. This all after the week of mario and the apple cake....so everything is everywhere...

oh yea this is about working from home, i just do cakes and i teach jewelry making. My husband picked up a second job so i could work on these things.

DegaDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DegaDee Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:02am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by momvarden

My kitchen is the same way EXPLOSION has occured... .

I am glad to know it's not just my kitchen that looks like that! Of course the week hubby takes off so we can get Christmas lights up (we do a huge display) I get 3 cake orders!

BTW, I am a stay home mom of 3 and have a 4 month old grandchild who lives with us. I quit work 12 years ago and started selling on eBay full time. It's been a great way to make money, but with the bad economy it's not doing so great right now. I am seriously considering going back to work. thumbsdown.gif

momvarden Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 4:36am
post #13 of 19

there is another site that is pretty hot right now. esty.com you should check it out, see if you can divid and concur ( spelling sorry).

MichelleM77 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:39am
post #14 of 19

www.etsy.com I love it! It's for handmade stuff only, so it might not work for your situation.

momvarden Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 11:38am
post #15 of 19

boy was i tired when i posted that last post. I was not sure about esty.com i have only been there 2 times. So thank you for post that
Michelle.

MichelleM77 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 4:37pm
post #16 of 19

LOL! No problem. I was dead tired myself. I work until 2am and of course had to do a quick check of CC before I dragged myself off to bed! icon_smile.gif I do love Etsy.com though. I've bought a few things from them. One was a little pendant/necklace that is a decorating/pastry bag on a plate. She has cute things like mini pendants that look likes cakes too! I posted a link to her site a while ago, will have to look for it again. They are really cute.

momvarden Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 4:50pm
post #17 of 19

that does sound really cute. since i teach jewelry making i love to see the hand made stuff.

Can i just voice off something....i have this woman that i use to live near and she was all upset about the turn out of the election....so i said oh than you voted for mc cann.... she said no i did not vote..... icon_mad.gif maybe she should not be complaining if she did not take the time to vote............oh well. icon_cry.gif people just frustrate me.

MichelleM77 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:25pm
post #18 of 19

I agree, no right to complain if you didn't do anything to try and change it. I have extreme anxiety and can't handle standing in lines, but I dragged myself to my local poll when I thought the lines would be the shortest and I was in and out in less than 5 minutes. No lines....Thank goodness! icon_smile.gif There are times you have to put yourself out there and do what you have to do or live with the consequences.

momvarden Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:04pm
post #19 of 19

its so cool that you faced your personal issue so you could vote. thumbs_up.gif Her excuse was that she did like either one. So way is she complaining right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%