Help With Shiny/greasy Looking Icing

Decorating By jaxcakelady Updated 28 Oct 2008 , 2:58am by jaxcakelady

jaxcakelady Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:05am
post #1 of 10

icon_cry.gif No matter what recipe I use, my icing always looks greasy or shiny.... how do I get a matte finish without using fondant??? If I add more sugar, the icing isn't workable. What am I doing wrong???

9 replies
jjcakes Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 7:33am
post #2 of 10

Maybe share the recipe you are using now and it could provide more information to go on. So even if you leave it out with the air getting to it, there is no crusting? What do you mean by no workable if you add more powdered sugar? I'm sure it can be figured out. Even here in Hawaii my icing crusts (gets matte like) fairly quickly.

kbw5780 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 12:51pm
post #3 of 10

I wish mine would be shiny. Sometimes, it is more shiny than others, but for the most part, I can't get it shiny enough.

Deb_ Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 1:04pm
post #4 of 10

jaxcakelady............are you using Crisco by any chance? I and many others here started having this problem when they took the transfat out of the Crisco. My icing almost looked like it was sweating, no matter what the whether was that day.

I started using indydebi's recipe with the powdered Dream Whip, and the shine (greasy look) went away even though her recipe uses Crisco. It appears that the Dream Whip acts as a stabilizer, and it also gives the icing a nice fluffy texture.

Give it a try, I think you'll see a big difference. It also crusts really well. Sometimes I add butter extract for a more BC taste.

HTH
Deb

Callyssa Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 10

I've noticed too the more I smooth (with Viva) the shinier it gets. I think the heat from my hand somewhat melts the icing? I hate that look too. I'm going to try Melvira's method of smoothing with a roller and see it that helps; it should soak up some of the grease also. Just my two cents!

selahmycat Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 10

I also had this problem even though I used 2.5% tran fat shortening. This weekend I tried adding 1 T. of cornstarch (something I read here at CC, thanks whoever), and it was just like old times! It was smoother, easier to work with, and ended up looking great.

kjt Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by selahmycat

I also had this problem even though I used 2.5% tran fat shortening. This weekend I tried adding 1 T. of cornstarch (something I read here at CC, thanks whoever), and it was just like old times! It was smoother, easier to work with, and ended up looking great.

Cornstarch, really? Please share which bc recipe you use...I am sooo struggling with bc icon_redface.gif TIA.

mareg Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:39pm
post #8 of 10

Yes please share the cornstarch trick icon_biggrin.gif

selahmycat Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:15pm
post #9 of 10

I use just the regular Wilton class icing. I make a double batch (1 bag of XXX sugar), and added 1 T. of corn starch along with the other ing.

2 C. shortening
2 t. flavoring
7 - 8 T. water
3 T. meringue powder
1 T. corn starch

Like I said before, I do not want to take credit for this as I read it here on CC. I had been using a store brand with 2.5% after Crisco came out with 0 trans fat, and at first it was ok, but it started getting just like the Crisco.
I had been having a lot of smoothing problems, lots of bubbles, etc. After the cornstarch, it went on like silk!!!

jaxcakelady Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 2:58am
post #10 of 10

icon_redface.gif Thank you all for your posts... First, I've tried to use the Wilton Snow White Wedding Buttercream icing, another recipe that I've used for years that's just shortening, vanilla, salt, confectioner's sugar, water, another recipe that starts with a cooked flour paste... all look shiny and almost sweaty as someone mentioned. I read on here that the way to make a humidity stable icing was to add a cornstarch/milk mix but that doesn't really help either. I haven't tried the dream whip idea, but will and yes, I use Crisco... if that's the problem then I'm not sure what to use. I am able to get a somewhat "crusted" icing as I can smooth a little without being sticky, but once the cake sits, it goes all shiny and greasy. I'm in Florida so humidity does play a part, but even on dry days, I don't get any relief. Also, I think the meringue powder makes the icing taste sour... that could just be me though. Thanks again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%