I Just Need A Little Pick Me Up From My Cake Friends

Decorating By sweetneice Updated 27 Oct 2008 , 11:25pm by indydebi

sweetneice Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:03am
post #1 of 10

Hey guys!
Ok, as you know I'm pretty new to the business side of decorating but I want to know how in the world I can get more clientele. I mean, I have had cake orders every month, but not as many as I would like nor the profit I desire. What do I do to get the word out? I was requested to do a customer appreciation for a bank, and now one for my apartment community because they say my cakes are divine (YAY!) I get a thousand compliments on taste and decor but I don't know how or where to draw more people. The coffee shop my desserts are in havent had many customers but the one's who come in buy them, and say they are great. I even advertised in a coupon's magazine that circulates very well here and I STILL don't see the profit I want! UGH! What am I doing wrong, or not doing?! Just a little discouraged about the whole thing and could use a little encouragement from the ones who have either been there or are there now. I know I'll make it and I'm going to keep trying, but today, I just don't FEEL like it, ya know? I hope I don't sound stupid. Thanks icon_sad.gif

9 replies
miny Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 5:13am
post #2 of 10

Don't feel bad, I don't sell my cakes but I certanly understand that we are living on very difficult financial times and everybody is pinching pennies here and there, there is no money to party and when they do the go to costco for cheap cakes, just hang in there, it's going to get better thumbs_up.gif

all4cake Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 5:44am
post #3 of 10

I am never as busy as I'd like to be. I've decided to look at those times with minimal orders as a reason to think about making decorations for the next seasonal high period so that I have enough decorations to put on "advertisement" cakes BEFORE the season gets here....like a preview. At the end of this month, I'll be working on Valentine's decorations...I love working with royal icing and sugar molds for this reason! It may be hard on the books but I still look at it as a positive thing.

acookieobsession Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:33am
post #4 of 10

Try taking samples rounf everywhere you go . I took some to my bank and I got a wedding,

Donate to charities either product or certficates.

Give some to local schools for the staff.

Julia

indydebi Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:39am
post #5 of 10

You keep saying you're not making the "profit" you want ..... are you talking profit or sales? If profit is the issue, then it means your prices are too low. If sales is the issue, that's different.

Cakes are products that, unlike gas and groceries, that people buy everyday, must wait for a special occasion to be ordered. Someone who luvs your cakes may wait 8 months, until their kids' birthday, before they actually order one.

It takes time, but one day you wake up and wonder how you got so busy overnight!

tiersfromheaven Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:42am
post #6 of 10

It's the economy, at least I see it that way. I have orders being paid as a group effort icon_surprised.gif Perhaps you can place your adverts in the high end of town to attract those not heavily affected by the slump we are in.

sweetneice Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 10:19pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks guys! Indydebi, I mean not getting enough sales, therefore not bringing in the profit I want. Lol! Sorry for not being so clear on what I meant. Where would I post in the higher end of town?

mixinvixen Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 10:38pm
post #8 of 10

hair salons, tanning salons, car dealerships, boutiques, banks, kids party rental places, insurance sales offices, etc

grammynan Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:09pm
post #9 of 10

One of the best form of advertising is word of mouth. One cake goes to a party and you've got how many new customers? Unfortunately it takes time to get their business. Another is taking sample cakes to the businesses and schools in your area. Almost all of my customers are working women. They neither have the time nor energy to make a cake!!

I always complain when I don't have enough business. Then I complain when I have too much!! Go figure!!

indydebi Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:25pm
post #10 of 10

Add attorney's offices to the list. They are always having meetings, partner's and employee's birthday celebrations, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%