Preserving Dummie Cakes??

Decorating By cakelady31 Updated 26 Oct 2008 , 7:46pm by cheferyn

cakelady31 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 18

First of all I would like to say hi to all you talented CCr's.

I have a couple of questions regarding dummie cakes for display.

(1) Does anybody know if there is a spray or something that can or should be used on a iced (Royal icing) display dummie. ? it also has gumpaste callas on it. I am not sure if there is something to use that would help to preserve it or that if it is even necessary.

(2) I want to make a square dummie display cake using fondant to cover with fondant accents , bows, etc. Is there anything special to use on that as well or is it just regular fondant ?

I appreciate any and all advice , thank you so much in advance for any input!!

Thanks ,

17 replies
bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 18

I just use regular Wilton fondant (because of the bad taste and good consistency, that makes it perfect for dummy decorating.) icon_lol.gif I've heard of sprays used on gumpaste but I've never seen anyone do it or the need for it. I have decorated cake dummies around here that look as good as the day they were decorated, no special preserving necessary. Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

cakelady31 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 18

Thank you Bobwonderbuns and I love your screen name btw!

I thought that was the case but I was wondering what others were doing.

And yes, it would definately be the wilton stuff.

Thanks again and happy cake 'n !

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 18

You are so welcome! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 18

I ice my dummies in BC and I don't spray or do anything to "preserve" them. I have some that are 2 years old and they are still holding up just fine.

sweetcakes Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 18

ive got several decorated dummies here, some are buttercream, some fondant, there are gumpaste bows and chocolate shells too, all are nearly a yr old and look great, some of the coloured fondant has faded a bit and one of the GP bows has wilted from when i had my windows open but all in all they still look good. You dont have to do any thing to preserve them and when its time to redo, you just start breaking off the icing to get back to the dummy cake.

__Jamie__ Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 18

I just covered my first cake dummy a few days ago with that nasty vomit inducing Wilton stuff myself! There is a competition I am entering in a couple of months so I am experimenting with just how long it stays on the dummy and how much decorating I can do ahead of time. Seems to hold up well so far! Really, is there any other use for that stuff? I can't imagine anyone actually serving a cake covered in that glop! Now MMF...yummy!

leah_s Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 18

The only thing I've ever sprayed on my cake dummies is ant spray. Seriously.

__Jamie__ Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 5:39pm
post #9 of 18

Yeah, what a drag that would be to find insects chewing on your artwork...blech!

KimAZ Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 5:59pm
post #10 of 18

I have dummy cakes all over my house, some as many as 2 yrs old and the only thing wrong is that they are dusty. Most are buttercream with fondant accents. But some are all fondant, even MMF and they are totally fine.

tarheelgirl Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 6:03pm
post #11 of 18

I am attempting my first dummy cake in the next week or so! What do you guys usually cut the rounds/squares out of? I just used styrofoam but the edges flaky.. you know where I cut it. If I coat it with buttercream that should help right?

cakelady31 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 6:05pm
post #12 of 18

Thank you all for the quick resonse. Ok , I won't worry about it and just leave em be. icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 6:28pm
post #13 of 18

Well, I would't even begin to attempt to cut my own....especially since I received my premade dummies from T a y l o r Foam last week! The edges are evn rounded off for you! I covered one of them with fondant a few days ago...flawless!

I attached a picture of the set of dummies I ordered. The top one is already covered in fondant, but I wanted you to see the rounded edges. I can't imagine trying to do that myself!

One more thing....that set of 5 dummies only cost $20

cakelady31 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 6:36pm
post #14 of 18

Yup, I got mine from the same place, They are excellent. And resonably priced too , I thought.

__Jamie__ Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 6:38pm
post #15 of 18

$20 is a smoking deal as far as I am concerned, but honestly, I probably would pay $100 to avoid the hassle of cutting and rounding my own styrofoam! icon_biggrin.gif

tarheelgirl Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 6:45pm
post #16 of 18

I just looked up Taylor foam and WOW they are cheap!! Thanks for the info! I am trashing that other stuff I just cut out! haha

jammjenks Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 7:20pm
post #17 of 18

I have ordered from them several times and have always been pleased.

cheferyn Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 7:46pm
post #18 of 18

I have actually sprayed my dummies with acrylic spray from the craft dept at walmart. I did have ants in my kitchen after the recent hurricane that attacked my unsprayed dummies. I freaked out! But the other sprayed ones are still there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%