Protecting Our Hands And Wrists When We Decorate?

Decorating By lbass Updated 27 Oct 2008 , 2:36am by Juds2323

lbass Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 7

I noticed in another thread where a few people talked about hand and wrist problems. I work at Ingles in the bakery and one of the decorators has had trouble with carpel tunnel. Is there a way to protect our hands.

Just wondering..... I love decorating!!!! I love my job!!!! I don't want to ruin my hands if I can help it.

Any ideas?

Thanks everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 replies
bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 7

First off, proper icing consistency. That's what I tell my students. I have so many of them trying to pipe cement consistency through these itty bitty tubes and no wonder their wrists hurt! icon_confused.gif Second, they have these gloves that are tight around the wrist and loose on the hands (the fingers are cut off), and I forget who makes them but some of the online sugar stores do carry them. I got mine from JoAnns when they carried them. Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

briannastreats Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 7

I would love to know also!!! I already have a slight case of carpel tunnel in my writing hand/wrist... I've always wondered this too...

marknelliesmum Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 7

What a good question thumbs_up.gif
I am a trained masseuse / aromatherapist and I used to be able to massage for about 6 hours on the trot and had really strong hands and wrists but since ds was born 4yrs ago and all the crawling games (i think maybe you guys call it creeping? - on all fours on the floor ) my wrists are goosed icon_cry.gif I have to take fondant out of my cool cupboard and let it sit in the heat of my kitchen before attempting to knead it - if i don't i need to strap my wrist for approx. a week afterwards icon_mad.gif

Any suggestions would be great!

Mike1394 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 7

Stretch, stretch, and then stretch some more. Pull your hand back to the topside of your forearm. Carpal tunnel is the shortening of the ligaments, and tendons. Same as heel spurs stretch your calves, and there won't be an issue.

shadowgypsie Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 11:11pm
post #6 of 7

Michaels also carries them in the Wilton isle.

Juds2323 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:36am
post #7 of 7

Also, make sure you are working at the correct height. My carpal tunnel is directly connected with my shoulders. The carpal tunnel nerve runs from your neck to arms - and my wrists are affected by the tension in my shoulders and neck. So if I work on a table that is too high my hands get worse.

Quote by @%username% on %date%