I Iced My Cakes Last Night And I Have This, This Morning?

Decorating By ranbel Updated 26 Oct 2008 , 2:35pm by ranbel

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 7

After icing my cakes and completed the smoothing steps before going to bed I covered them in saren wrap. They were completely dry to the touch but, now they are a bit wet.

Willl they dry back out? I have to delivery and set up in about 5 hrs.

Aslo, I have never used teh wilton plastic dowls. Is it best to insert one and cut all the same or to insert each one and cut individually. My cake looks pretty level to the eye...

Thanks,

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:52pm
post #2 of 7

I don't cover my cakes overnight. They just sit out, primarily so the icing can air dry and crust well. The moisture in your icing was trapped by the plastic wrap, which caused your wetness.

Cut one dowel, then cut all the others the same length. Unless you are 1000% sure you don't have a high spot or a low spot in your cake, this is the best way to guarantee the next tier is perfectly level.

Here's a thread to illustrate what I mean: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-434013-dowels.html

ranbel Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks Indydebi. but, will they dry out to where they don't have that wet look...I should have know better than to do this. I usually sit them in the cake boxes and haven't had this problem.

I will check out that link on the dowels..
thanks

indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 7

If you're asking if the cake will dry out ... no. The icing seals the cake, just a plastic wrapper seals your loaf of bread.

I ice/decorate cakes on Thursday for Sat weddings. They sit on my counter until delivery. I stay and cut most of my cakes and can attest to how very moist and fresh they taste on Saturday.

ranbel Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 7

Sorry, let me rephrase this. but, thanks it nice to know that the cake can sit out for a day or two without drying out.

My question is: will the wetness on my icing go away before I have to set it up?

indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 7

Oh, sorry! icon_redface.gif Yes, I'm sure it will dry fine for you. Just let the air get to it.

ranbel Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:35pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks, I feel a little less stress now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%