How Much Do You Charge For A Bow?

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 26 Oct 2008 , 11:28pm by FromScratch

LoriMc  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 18

I should specify a loop bow made of MMF or gumpaste. How is that priced into a cake?

17 replies
 bobwonderbuns  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 18

Some get up to $40 for a loopy bow because it's considered a cake topper.

chutzpah  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 18

would that be a loopy blow?

haha... laughing at my own dumb joke....

marknelliesmum  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 18

Oh Chutzpah... you really are the funniest person on CC icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I hate, hate, hate making them so i'd say about $5million should cover your time and hassle.

Still laughing at chutzpah icon_cry.gif

chutzpah  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:55pm
post #5 of 18

lol.... so glad I could make you laugh!

I hate making them , too. What I charge depends really on the other design elements of the cake. If the cake is very simple I'll throw in the bow, if the cake is really futzy I will charge for it.

FromScratch  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:00pm
post #6 of 18

For a full loopy bow.. I'd charge $20 (depending on the size). And make it from gumpaste.. making bows from fondant is a PAIN IN THE ASS. And if it gets warm or humid.. they fall. Gumpaste will dry hard and not flop on you.

Susie53  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 18

chutzpah, your are too funny!

CakeMommyTX  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:43pm
post #8 of 18

If I design it into the cake then it is included in the price per serving I charge, but if the customer requests random/additional bows I charge 5-10$ depending on the size.

leah_s  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:51pm
post #9 of 18

I consider a bow (any style bow) a topper and I get $40 for any and every topper. And I have for years.

CakesByJen2  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:06pm
post #10 of 18

For a single, simple bow I may just include it, but if there are several I might charge $5-$10 each, depending on size and whether they have to be painted or dusted, and the overall design of the cake. For a big, loopy bow I charge $25 for a plain, pastel colored one, but I would charge more if it had any details or patterns that have to be painted or piped on. I'm doing one for a December wedding that has to be cranberry red, and I have a feeling I'm going to start charging more for bright/darker colors after that because I think it's going to be a PIA to get the color right.

Mencked  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:07pm
post #11 of 18

Wow--once again depends on where you live! I charge $25/bow--Chutzpah you are so funny!!!

tamrick  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamrick Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 4:11pm
post #12 of 18

Oh, CakesByJen2, how do you get the cranberry red color? I also have to do a christmas wedding cake and her colors are cranberry red and olive green,, and I have no idea how to get the cranberry red!

I was thinking of charging $15 for a loop bow....maybe I should reconsider, lol.

leah_s  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 4:48pm
post #13 of 18

Cranberry red/David's Apple Red, start with Precolored red SatinIce knead in some chocolate Satinice and then knead in some gumpaste powder or ready made gumpaste. At least that's what I do.

tamrick  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamrick Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 5:05pm
post #14 of 18

Ok, thanks Leahs! I was thinking of adding black, but the brown makes more sense!

KimAZ  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 5:16pm
post #15 of 18

The premade, non edible Wilton loopy bows are about $19 here so to make a homemade, edible one ( not that anyone would really eat it) would certainly be more than $20 in my book.

KimAZ

Callyssa  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 5:34pm
post #16 of 18

Well, I just made my first loopy bow from gumpaste last week and apparently all the kids at the party ate every last piece of it. I was actually going to post a thread asking if that was really safe?! I like fondant, but gumpaste leaves such a weird, sticky, slimy kind of feel in your mouth.....I can't explain it! But my kids eat small chunks of it too when I am playing around with it. Yuk!!!

LoriMc  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 8:36pm
post #17 of 18

I didn't know gumpaste was edible! lol

This is going to be a 9" round or an 8" and 6" round. She only needs 15 servings. It would be kind of ridiculous for me to charge $20-40 for this bow. It does have to be purple though...and now you guys have me worried about getting the color dark enough. icon_cry.gif

I am thinking about trying MMF with tylose next time I make one. Saw Twilisa do it on youtube and her bows look great.

FromScratch  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 11:28pm
post #18 of 18

Well if you add the tylose to MMF you will basically have gumpaste and it will have that same slimy feel. It might taste a bit better.. especially if you are using pre-made gumpaste or a mix. icon_smile.gif

And a 9" or an 8 & 6" are a lot more than 15 servings. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%