How Much Do You Charge For A Bow?

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 26 Oct 2008 , 11:28pm by FromScratch

LoriMc Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 18

I should specify a loop bow made of MMF or gumpaste. How is that priced into a cake?

17 replies
bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 18

Some get up to $40 for a loopy bow because it's considered a cake topper.

chutzpah Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 18

would that be a loopy blow?

haha... laughing at my own dumb joke....

marknelliesmum Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 18

Oh Chutzpah... you really are the funniest person on CC icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I hate, hate, hate making them so i'd say about $5million should cover your time and hassle.

Still laughing at chutzpah icon_cry.gif

chutzpah Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:55pm
post #5 of 18

lol.... so glad I could make you laugh!

I hate making them , too. What I charge depends really on the other design elements of the cake. If the cake is very simple I'll throw in the bow, if the cake is really futzy I will charge for it.

FromScratch Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:00pm
post #6 of 18

For a full loopy bow.. I'd charge $20 (depending on the size). And make it from gumpaste.. making bows from fondant is a PAIN IN THE ASS. And if it gets warm or humid.. they fall. Gumpaste will dry hard and not flop on you.

Susie53 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 18

chutzpah, your are too funny!

CakeMommyTX Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:43pm
post #8 of 18

If I design it into the cake then it is included in the price per serving I charge, but if the customer requests random/additional bows I charge 5-10$ depending on the size.

leah_s Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:51pm
post #9 of 18

I consider a bow (any style bow) a topper and I get $40 for any and every topper. And I have for years.

CakesByJen2 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:06pm
post #10 of 18

For a single, simple bow I may just include it, but if there are several I might charge $5-$10 each, depending on size and whether they have to be painted or dusted, and the overall design of the cake. For a big, loopy bow I charge $25 for a plain, pastel colored one, but I would charge more if it had any details or patterns that have to be painted or piped on. I'm doing one for a December wedding that has to be cranberry red, and I have a feeling I'm going to start charging more for bright/darker colors after that because I think it's going to be a PIA to get the color right.

Mencked Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:07pm
post #11 of 18

Wow--once again depends on where you live! I charge $25/bow--Chutzpah you are so funny!!!

tamrick Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 4:11pm
post #12 of 18

Oh, CakesByJen2, how do you get the cranberry red color? I also have to do a christmas wedding cake and her colors are cranberry red and olive green,, and I have no idea how to get the cranberry red!

I was thinking of charging $15 for a loop bow....maybe I should reconsider, lol.

leah_s Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 4:48pm
post #13 of 18

Cranberry red/David's Apple Red, start with Precolored red SatinIce knead in some chocolate Satinice and then knead in some gumpaste powder or ready made gumpaste. At least that's what I do.

tamrick Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 5:05pm
post #14 of 18

Ok, thanks Leahs! I was thinking of adding black, but the brown makes more sense!

KimAZ Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 5:16pm
post #15 of 18

The premade, non edible Wilton loopy bows are about $19 here so to make a homemade, edible one ( not that anyone would really eat it) would certainly be more than $20 in my book.

KimAZ

Callyssa Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 5:34pm
post #16 of 18

Well, I just made my first loopy bow from gumpaste last week and apparently all the kids at the party ate every last piece of it. I was actually going to post a thread asking if that was really safe?! I like fondant, but gumpaste leaves such a weird, sticky, slimy kind of feel in your mouth.....I can't explain it! But my kids eat small chunks of it too when I am playing around with it. Yuk!!!

LoriMc Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 8:36pm
post #17 of 18

I didn't know gumpaste was edible! lol

This is going to be a 9" round or an 8" and 6" round. She only needs 15 servings. It would be kind of ridiculous for me to charge $20-40 for this bow. It does have to be purple though...and now you guys have me worried about getting the color dark enough. icon_cry.gif

I am thinking about trying MMF with tylose next time I make one. Saw Twilisa do it on youtube and her bows look great.

FromScratch Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 11:28pm
post #18 of 18

Well if you add the tylose to MMF you will basically have gumpaste and it will have that same slimy feel. It might taste a bit better.. especially if you are using pre-made gumpaste or a mix. icon_smile.gif

And a 9" or an 8 & 6" are a lot more than 15 servings. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%