Do I Need Support??

Decorating By trishalynn0708 Updated 26 Oct 2008 , 1:24pm by indydebi

trishalynn0708 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 10:44am
post #1 of 6

HAHA.. When I read my subject a couple of times it kind of sounds like a bra problem.. LMAO!...

Okay, onto my question.. If I make a sheet cake and then put another cake ontop of that, like one of the shaped pans from wilton. Do I need support under this? Or can I just put it right ontop of the other cake?

Thanks!
Trisha

5 replies
amoos Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 11:30am
post #2 of 6

I think it depends on how big and heavy the piece you're putting on top it. I'm terrified of having a "sinkage" problem so I'm always covering my cakes in dowels. My idea is that an extra few dowels can't hurt right, so why risk it.

Sparklepop Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 11:30am
post #3 of 6

Like all of us cakes need support too icon_wink.gif .
Always better to be safe than sorry I would definitely support the top cake thumbs_up.gif

debster Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 11:47am
post #4 of 6

If it's a single layer on a single layer no, I did for my spiderman (I'm a safety girl) but it wasn't necessary. Now a double layer on a double layer YES!!!!!! Hope this helps and you understand, I'm terrible at explaining sometimes.

kathy777 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 12:13pm
post #5 of 6

i would say yes .. I did a sheet cake for my work i am a bus driver and on top i molded a bus out of pound cake .. and i didn't support it and it sunk into the cake by the time i was ready to bring it. so to be safe i would!

indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:24pm
post #6 of 6

As you can see, the best part and the worse part about CC is you get feedback from so many different experiences to draw from! icon_biggrin.gif

If you made a double layer 12x18 cake, you wouldn't put cardboard between the layers and you wouldnt' dowel. So I say if you are using a regular sheet cake, then putting a wilton shaped pan cake on top, it's the same as a double layer cake .... no support. I've done this kind for years and never used cardboard/supports.

Now, if you're doing a dense cake that has some weight/height, like kathy777 indicated, it may be heavier than just a standard single layer cake, so you will want factor that in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%