Do I Need Support??

Decorating By trishalynn0708 Updated 26 Oct 2008 , 1:24pm by indydebi

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 10:44am
post #1 of 6

HAHA.. When I read my subject a couple of times it kind of sounds like a bra problem.. LMAO!...

Okay, onto my question.. If I make a sheet cake and then put another cake ontop of that, like one of the shaped pans from wilton. Do I need support under this? Or can I just put it right ontop of the other cake?

Thanks!
Trisha

5 replies
amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 11:30am
post #2 of 6

I think it depends on how big and heavy the piece you're putting on top it. I'm terrified of having a "sinkage" problem so I'm always covering my cakes in dowels. My idea is that an extra few dowels can't hurt right, so why risk it.

Sparklepop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklepop Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 11:30am
post #3 of 6

Like all of us cakes need support too icon_wink.gif .
Always better to be safe than sorry I would definitely support the top cake thumbs_up.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 11:47am
post #4 of 6

If it's a single layer on a single layer no, I did for my spiderman (I'm a safety girl) but it wasn't necessary. Now a double layer on a double layer YES!!!!!! Hope this helps and you understand, I'm terrible at explaining sometimes.

kathy777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy777 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 12:13pm
post #5 of 6

i would say yes .. I did a sheet cake for my work i am a bus driver and on top i molded a bus out of pound cake .. and i didn't support it and it sunk into the cake by the time i was ready to bring it. so to be safe i would!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:24pm
post #6 of 6

As you can see, the best part and the worse part about CC is you get feedback from so many different experiences to draw from! icon_biggrin.gif

If you made a double layer 12x18 cake, you wouldn't put cardboard between the layers and you wouldnt' dowel. So I say if you are using a regular sheet cake, then putting a wilton shaped pan cake on top, it's the same as a double layer cake .... no support. I've done this kind for years and never used cardboard/supports.

Now, if you're doing a dense cake that has some weight/height, like kathy777 indicated, it may be heavier than just a standard single layer cake, so you will want factor that in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%