Any Expert?

Decorating By nicole2214 Updated 26 Oct 2008 , 9:27pm by kakeladi

nicole2214 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:12am
post #1 of 6

Since I have never done the scrolls before, how am I suppossed to do these and they turn out o.k.? I tried practicing the scrolls with tip #3 and they seemed too skinny.

5 replies
kakeladi Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 6

Most scrolls like that are done with tip 2 or 3. Maybe you just need to apply more pressure (squeeze harder).
If that doesn't work, then try a 4. Just keep going up one # until you are satisifiedicon_smile.gif
Also, often those scrolls are at least 2 layers of icing. Try overpiping the scroll to see it that is the look you want.

indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 6

I've made scrolls with as small as a #2 and as large as a #7 .... it just depends on the look you're going for.

gr8_seamstress Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 6

yep....overpiping should do the trick. Good Luck!

Mencked Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 6

This cake was done with a tip 3 Stupid me, I never even thought about overpiping!! DUH! I almost always use a tip 3 when doing scroll work and I think that's what size was used in your cake picture too. Practice on waxed paper and then you can reuse the icing until you get the look and size you want!! Also don't fill the bag too full--You'll have more control with just a bit of icing in the bag and your hand won't get so tired. If you're using BC for the scrolls you can also mix in a little corn syrup to make your icing flow smoother and easier! I love scroll work!! Good luck!

kakeladi Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 6

Also as a response toanother post someone mentioned a site (I think it's) designer stencils. At least One of the stencils they have is scroll work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%