How Do You Box A Tiered Cake?

Decorating By stephaniescakenj Updated 26 Oct 2008 , 2:45pm by stephaniescakenj

stephaniescakenj Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:04am
post #1 of 6

Hi All, Quick Question. What do you transport your tiered cakes in? I don't deliver my tiered cakes in boxes because I can't find any tall enough. Every other cake gets a box but for the tall ones, i don't know what to do. Right now, I place them on a non skid mat that covers the entire floor of my van, once the delivery is over, the mat gets rolled up and stored til the next delivery. It's the only thing I can think of. Does anyone have any other ideas? The need for a box was brought up on another topic and I didn't want to hijack the thread so I thought I would post here.
Thanks!

5 replies
antonia74 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:09am
post #2 of 6

I often have the same problem! My cakes are a minimum of 5" tall and I usually have customers picking up tiered cakes too. The regular cake boxes just aren't tall enough, grrr!

Go to your local Business Depot or Staples (Walmart, Kmart, whatever!) and get Banker's file boxes. (I get 6-packs for about $13 dollars here in Ontario.)

They are VERY strong, sturdy and about 11" tall. They have built-in handles and are a good 12" wide usually. They work perfectly with a tall cake or even tiered ones.

What I do is cut out a square of non-slip rubber matting for the bottom of the box, then lay the cake on its board on top. SOO perfect for transporting cakes!
LL
LL

jillmakescakes Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:53am
post #3 of 6

Decopac sells Wedding Cake delivery sets-- they are 16 inches tall with sides that open and drop flat. I LOVE them. They do run a little expensive, but if you're not giving them to the client, then reusing them is great.

[/list]

chutzpah Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 7:35am
post #4 of 6

You should always deliver all cakes in a box!! It is unhygienic not to. It doesn't matter how clean you think your car is.... it's not.

I specially ordered several sizes of boxes from a box company in sturdy, FOOD-SAFE cardboard. I just cut one of the sides down to form a flap, place the cake in the box, tape the side back up and cover the cake.

Bunsen Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 8:36am
post #5 of 6

I use a couple of the regular cake boxes - use the large size (15") for the base (the ones that come as 2 pieces) then use a smaller size (12" - that is in one piece) to create a lid - put it up and over so it forms an A shaped frame - then staple and tape to secure. You can use the lid from the large base box to make sides so you don't have gaps. I recently transported a 3 tier cake with figurines on top like this - it's surprisingly sturdy. Sorry I don't have a picture to show you, hope you get what I mean!

stephaniescakenj Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 6

Great ideas everyone! Thank you so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%