Crisco Vs. Hi-Ratio? I Want Your Opinions Before I Buy!

Decorating By Niliquely Updated 26 Oct 2008 , 9:52pm by Susie53

Niliquely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niliquely Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 12:41am
post #1 of 12

I am contemplating purchasing Sweetex for my icing recipes that call for Crisco. Since it is more expensive (especially after shipping and handling) than Crisco, I want to know from any and all who have used BOTH products - which you like better and please be specific in telling me why!

11 replies
jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 12:52am
post #2 of 12

I just broke down and ordered my 50lb. block of Sweetex. I had purchased a smaller tub before. It is a more stable shortening, but I still have to use 1/2 butter to cut some of the thickness of the Sweetex. I ordered mine from www.thebakerskitchen.com...they were the cheapest out of all the companies I searched. I live in CA, so after shipping it was $105.

I was trying to make do with Crisco as long as I could, but I just had to go ahead and order the Sweetex!

To answer your question as to why...my icing just didn't seem to have the same consistency as it did before, using Crisco. Although it was workable, and I didn't have any horror stories as others, I felt I needed a more stable shortening. Plus, sugarshack and tonedna uses it...C'mon!!! icon_biggrin.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:03am
post #3 of 12

Scratch or doctored/mix, butter or margarine, hi-ratio or Crisco,etc..... these choices are all personal preferences.

Which is better depends on which is more suitable for your particular application and circumstances.

I have used both, and my personal preference is hi-ratio.

I find that the hi-ratio frostings are more heat resistant and stable with a better mouth feel than straight Crisco frosting recipes.

That being said, there are numerous Crisco recipes that use additives to increase their heat resistance, stability and mouth feel.

If you go with the hi-ratio, I wouldn't recommend just substituting hi-ratio in Crisco recipes...the substitution rate ISN'T 1:1.

There are many good hi-ratio recipes on CC and the net, I would use those.

For both highly rated hi-ratio and Crisco American b/c recipes (and other valuable info):

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html
(Everything you ever wanted to know about making your 1st tiered/stacked/layer cake.)

HTH

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:10am
post #4 of 12

I also prefer hi-ratio, but as JanH said, they are not exact swaps. From what I've read, hi-ratio is "moister" than Crisco, meaning it requires less liquid added to it than Crisco. That, of course, affects icing consistency. I can't get any of the name brands of hi-ratio near where I live (and it's too costly to ship to Canada when I don't use large quantities of it), but my local bulk store sells it. I would suppose a name brand would be better, but I have no way of knowing.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:18am
post #5 of 12

Hands down sweetex:

smoother
creamier
more workable for longer period of time
more elastic and forgivable
good crusting
better mouth feel

Niliquely Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:24am
post #6 of 12

Thanks for the website Jen - I checked it out and it is cheaper than Amazon. Yipee!
I am loving the input and advice - I love picking your brains!!!!

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:50am
post #7 of 12

If there is a cash and carry restaurant supply near you, check to see if they have Sweetex or another hi-ratio shortening. It can be less expensive than ordering on-line. I've used Sweetex which I like, Bakemark which I like even better, and Sysco which was OK, but not as good as either of the others.

Sweetex is manufactured by ACH corporation. They can tell you who carries it near you. http://www.achfood.com/contact.html
Bakemark is sold by Westco BakeMark nationally. Sysco is also a national brand. They can tell you if there is someone around you who carries their stuff.

http://www.bakemarkusa.com/
http://www.sysco.com/map/map.asp

Hope this helps

Niliquely Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:42am
post #8 of 12

*Pouting* I live in stinking western Nebraska!!!! We have NOTHING!!! Sometimes I seriously hate living here...pretty much everything I buy will have to be over the internet. Cake baking is not a big industry out here. But I REALLY appreciate the websites and info - I want to become a great cake decorator and no one around here does it and y'all have been so inspirational!!!! Many thanks!

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:53am
post #9 of 12

Since I bought SugarShack's buttercream DVD, I haven't used any other buttercream recipe -- EVER. I also don't use Crisco anymore either. I don't know if it's just the hi ratio, or other aspects of her recipe, but that is the smoothest icing on the planet. I buy mine from a restaurant supply company.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:27pm
post #10 of 12

Hi ratio Hi ratio hi ratio!!!

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 4:11pm
post #11 of 12

sysco carries it.
If you have a friend in the school systems cafeteria, restaurant business or grocer you can get it through them via sysco.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 9:52pm
post #12 of 12

I have used both and hi-ratio in my opinion makes a smoother, better tasting icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%