Have You Ever Forgot To Do A Cake????

Decorating By lilytexas Updated 19 Feb 2014 , 9:56pm by AZCouture

cakeladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladydi Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 11:26pm
post #31 of 47

I had a wedding cake that I thought was for Sat but turned out it was for Fri. I was talking to the bride on Fri morning to be sure I had directions to the location and that someone would be there (it was at a beach house) when I delivered it (in my mind I'm thinking Sat morn). She starts talking about being nervous and says, "Oh yes, I'll be there I'm getting ready to leave right now to go down there." Hmmm. It finally clicked. I cover the phone and mouth to my husband "THIS WEDDING IS TODAY`!!!!!". Thankfully I had the cakes baked and in the freezer. My DH was so funny. I was pretty calm because I know what I can do but he gets all nervous. "What do you want me to do? Can we use the blow dryer to defrost them? We are going to ruin this girls wedding!" etc., etc. It was a small 2-tier cake and a simple design. I was on the phone with her at 8:30 am and we had the cake ready and delivered 45 minutes away by 11:30. The bride never had a clue. That was a lesson for me and I find myself checking and rechecking to be sure it doesn't happen again. I don't think my DH could take it.

Diane

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 1:04am
post #32 of 47

I have never forgotten an order (everythng goes right into quickbooks) but I have forgotten bride's names and such! They come to me at bridal shows and will start chatting to me about thier wedding like I remember when it is or even her name! It's terrible! I feel like taking a photo of them when they come for a tasting so I can put a face with a name!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 1:16am
post #33 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

.....I have forgotten bride's names and such! They come to me at bridal shows and will start chatting to me about thier wedding like I remember when it is or even her name! It's terrible!

Part of my standard closing speech at a sampling is to tell the bride ".... be sure to look over these forms and make sure that what I've written is what you are expecting. Between now and your wedding, I'm going to talk to a LOT of brides and you all start to run together, and I guarantee you that I will NOT remember this conversation! So if it's not written down .... it's not going to happen, I promise you!"

lakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lakecake Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 12:28pm
post #34 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

.....I have forgotten bride's names and such! They come to me at bridal shows and will start chatting to me about thier wedding like I remember when it is or even her name! It's terrible!

Part of my standard closing speech at a sampling is to tell the bride ".... be sure to look over these forms and make sure that what I've written is what you are expecting. Between now and your wedding, I'm going to talk to a LOT of brides and you all start to run together, and I guarantee you that I will NOT remember this conversation! So if it's not written down .... it's not going to happen, I promise you!"

I find it somewhat unprofessional to actually tell a Bride at a consult that I won't remember them. These girls are planning the most self-centered event of their lives and who am I to tell them that they are basically going to become a calendar date, a location and a time for delivery. I just take as many notes as possible, smile a lot and use my phone as a back up. I let many calls go through to the answering machine so I can then take the time to get their folder or pull their file from my PC and then call then back with the details in front of me. It's not fool proof but it is a bit more personal.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 1:30pm
post #35 of 47

lakecake, with my personality and the way I present it, I can pull it off. They are laughing with me and usually commenting such as, "I can imagine!" When they come back or call, and I have to ask them their name or date, I tell them, "See? I told you that y'all start to run together!", they again laugh with me.

I learned long ago that there are lots of things I can do, because of my personality, that many people can't get by with. And I use that to my advantage.

And anyone who expects me to keep 80+ different clients a year separate and memorized has an inflated sense of their own importance.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 1:42pm
post #36 of 47

Part of my thing is my one on one attention. That is why I spend most of advertising dollar on bridal shows because I want to do that one on one. Brides ask me all the time how many weddings I do a year (100 plus) and they STILL seem to think I will remember them! haha! I even label each cake as I work on them as they all run together. I guess I am just getting old! hahaha!

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:02pm
post #37 of 47

OMGoodness I thought I was the only one who could forget about a cake....what a relief to know I'm not alone!

My dear Aunt had heart surgery a couple of years ago, and she asked me to make the cakes for 2 months (1 per month) for the Senior Citizen Center. I was so excited to get my cakes out into public! I made the first one and delivered it. Well a month went by and my phone rang at 1:30 pm and the director asked if I was dropping the cake for the month off..........I had forgotten icon_cry.gif I have never been so mortified in my life. They had to go to the grocery store and buy a frozen one. I have never forgotten the embarrasment of forgetting. My only saving grace was that this is a small town and I know everyone; and they know I have 6 kids-1 being a baby at the time, so I got lots of "she's so busy" This have ever did not stop me from feeling like a total heel icon_redface.gif

lovescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovescakes Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:12pm
post #38 of 47

I have not forgotten an order but I did delivered a cake a day early... the lady was like..what?! the party is tomorrow!!.....I was so imbarresed!

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 3:54pm
post #39 of 47

So, sorry this happened! I haven't forgotten a cake - YET! However, I can try to imagine how you felt. I don't know what I would do.

Just remember - onward and upward!

nana2anna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana2anna Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 1:53am
post #40 of 47

I have forgotten a cake order one time and I felt horrible for it. I had been sick for a few days and it just totally slipped my mind. I apologized to the lady and she said she understood that things happen but she also said she would never use me again. I was so embarrassed. I will never let that happen again if it's within my control. I will make sure (sick or not) to always check my schedule and double check my schedule so that I will NEVER have to feel like that again!!!!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 2:32am
post #41 of 47

Hi Nana! I'm Anna! :-)

shellic63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellic63 Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 3:11am
post #42 of 47

There was a lady who picked out a wedding cake. I told her I would need a deposit.She left with no money down and I never heard from her again....until her wedding day when she called wanting to know where her cake was. I felt bad that her wedding was ruined. But she never gave me a deposit and never contacted me again after picking out a cake. It was very strange.

ria123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ria123 Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 11:35am
post #43 of 47

I nearly forgot my sons birthday cake.

We moved into our new house 1 week before his birthday and we were busy decorating and unpacking. 

The kitchen was an absolute mess and needed a complete makeover, and for some silly reason I decided to invite some family round for his birthday rather than go out somewhere so the kitchen needed to be redecorated asap.

We had just finished the kitchen the day before his birthday and I suddenly realised I hadn't got him a cake and I hadn't got anything in to make one. 

I rushed to the local supermarket and they didn't have anything I needed! So I had to improvise! And had to have it baked and decorated really quick as it was getting late. I thought it looked awful. My son loved it though!

*the 5th cake I made, cake number 5

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 10:27am
post #44 of 47

I can sympathise, but on a smaller scale.

At my husbands work they have set up a 'cupcake club' and asked me to sort them out with cuppies once a month. Trouble is, they choose the date each month and it is invariably when I'm most busy. Twice now I've been up at stupid o'clock waiting for ganache to cool or trying to work out how the hell to make SMBC without waking the whole family up because it completely slipped my mind that they were due their cakes!

As for big cakes, I've not forgotten one yet, but I have been so close to the mark on pick-up times that it's not funny. Why is it that a board ribbon WILL NOT go on straight if you're in a rush?

AivaCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AivaCake Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 6:17pm
post #45 of 47

Yep, happened to me with some cupcakes, once.  Literally, anytime the doorbell rings and Im not expecting anything or its not my son's friends, I think "OH NO did i forget an order??" hahaha

sweetedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetedie Posted 19 Feb 2014 , 8:35pm
post #46 of 47

AI haven't forgotten yet. Have had customers who tried to come early though. Once I had been discussing a giant basket cake with a client via email... I even agreed to deliver, which we never do. My husband was on his way with the cake when I get a call. She had booked another Baker with the same first name as me. She has us confused and that baker was already there with her cake, and she had a contract. I did not. 10 hours of my life down the drain... Lesson learned

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 19 Feb 2014 , 9:56pm
post #47 of 47

A

Original message sent by sweetedie

I haven't forgotten yet. Have had customers who tried to come early though. Once I had been discussing a giant basket cake with a client via email... I even agreed to deliver, which we never do. My husband was on his way with the cake when I get a call. She had booked another Baker with the same first name as me. She has us confused and that baker was already there with her cake, and she had a contract. I did not. 10 hours of my life down the drain... Lesson learned

Oh noooo! Lesson learned, about using contracts AND full payment prior to doing any work, I assume? ;-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%