Fondant Question Help Asap!

Decorating By rvercher23 Updated 28 Oct 2008 , 3:00pm by SugarBakers05

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 19

I've crumb coated my cakes and let them set in the fridge overnight. Then took them out today to final caot them with butter cream before the fondant. Do I wait until they are room temp before I put the fondant on them or do I wait till they are room temp? Please hurry cake is due tomorrow and working on it now.

18 replies
rvercher23 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 19

Please help I really need some help. I need to ice these cakes soon. Any little help with be helpful.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 19

I think you need to bring them to room temp. first. You could have all sorts of problems with condensation as the cake warms up.

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 19

Hi
I'm not 100% sure but i think you need to wait til the cake is near room temp otherwise the coldness will effect the fondant making colours run and causing problems with condensation. I've only ever put my crumb coated cakes in the freezer for 5 mins or so to set the buttercream. Like i say i am not 100% just saying what i'd do. Sorry i can't be of more help hopefully this will give you a BUMP and one of the experts will pipe in.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 19

I've done mine cool, but not right out of the fridge.....it was o.k. I usually do it at room temp though. Even letting it sit 10-15mins out of the frdge should be fine. Just my opinion

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 9:35pm
post #6 of 19

I like to put fondant on cold cake because fondant is heavy and I like the invisible strength that cold cake has.

I would have avoided the crumb coat and just iced the cake in the first place -- and then let that chill real good before I put the fondant on. I slap it on right out of the frige because the little bit of condensation helps hold the fondant on--works for me.

That's how I do it. Everybody's different so find what works best for you. One persons right (way) is the next persons wrong so...

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 19

Room temp is best. But then again, I never refrigerate my cake. There's no need. Once the frosting's on it's shelf stable for several days unless you have a filling that is highly perishable. Placing fondant on a non-refrigerated cake has never been a problem here.

rvercher23 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 9:59pm
post #8 of 19

Thanks everyone I have let them go to room temp and started putting on the fondant. Thanks for your quick replys.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 10:16pm
post #9 of 19

I actually take them and put them in the freezer after I crumb coat and usually let them sit there for about a half hour so that their really cold. Fondant works really well on cold cake. The only thing you have to watch for is putting it back in the fridge once you put the fondant on because if you do have colors, the condensation will make them run.

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 10:20pm
post #10 of 19

I had this dilemma last week. One cake I let sit in the fridge for awhile, one I let sit for only 5-10 minutes, and one was at room temp and never went in the fridge. The one that was in the fridge for awhile looked great at first and I was very pleased with the nice edges but about 30 minutes later I looked and it had a HUGE air bubble. That sucker looked like it was 9 months pregnant. The other 2 were fine. I think in the future I will only let the cake sit in the fridge a max of 5-10 minutes before covering with fondant. The risk of air bubbles isn't worth the sharp corners! They are such a pain to get out!! Just my experience.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 11:16pm
post #11 of 19

Applying BC over a cold crumb coat is the easiest way to get a nice smooth finish before covering in fondant.

To help prevent those "blow-outs", pin-prick the cake in several places after crumb coating so the gasses can escape. (Just learned that trick in another string of posts).

I always apply BC and fondant on cold cakes icon_smile.gif

I also always put my fondant covered cakes in the firdge and have never had a problem with colors running. If you live where there is high humidity, you may need to speed the drying process with a hair dryer, but give the cake at least 4 hrs at room temp before deciding whether you need to or not. If it's still too cold when you use the hair dryer the condensation will just keep returning.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 11:44pm
post #12 of 19

I wonder if the type of BC under the fondabn makes a difference? I know those of you that use SMBC fridge it overnight hard, then cover with fondant, and then it can stay at room temp for days after that with no problems. With my shortening based recipe, if I fridge it or freeze it too long ( longer than 7 -10 or so minutes) I will sure-fire get bubbling, blow outs and the fondant coming off the cake after a while.

Amazing how we all do it so many ways, and what works for one does not work for another. Hence, my wondering if cake and BC recipes have something to do with it?

rvercher23 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:49am
post #13 of 19

Ok, got everything covered and decorated. Thanks so much for the tips, they really helped alot. I will post a pic after I set it up tomorrow! Thanks Again!

jenbakescakes Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 5:39pm
post #14 of 19

Sugarshack- that would be an interesting experiment. To see if different recipes act differently under the fondant. I use 1/2 butter, 1/2 shortening recipe and like I said in a previous post, I got BAD air bubbles when I covered over cold bc. I don't like the idea of poking holes in the fondant just because that messes with your nice smooth surface. I would rather avoid them in the first place, in my opinion!

MacsMom Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 5:39am
post #15 of 19

Just wanted to be sure I wasn't confusing anyone - pole holes in the cake after the crumbcoat but before applying the fondant.

That's what I've heard, anyway, so the gasses can escape through the BC. Going to try it this weekend.

But a noticeable hole when a bubble must be popped can be easily remedied by spackling the fondant with thinned fondant or matching BC.

rvercher23 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:30am
post #16 of 19

Ok. I said I would post a pic after I was done and set it up. Thanks for the info, on the top tier, it had a big airbubble that I didnt notice till I got there and was setting it up, but it wasnt in the front, so it wasnt as noticeable.
LL

jenbakescakes Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:42am
post #17 of 19

Great job!!

MacsMom Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:38am
post #18 of 19

Fabulous! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:00pm
post #19 of 19

Do you think it is better to ice the cake with a crusting b/c or regular soft b/c. When i used my regular one, smoothing the fondant was hard, and it kept oozing out everywhere. Has anyone ever have that happen, I don't know if you put a thin crumbcoat, or ice it like normal and apply fondant?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%