How Do I Color Mmf?

Decorating By oliver30 Updated 5 Jun 2007 , 12:58pm by goof9j

oliver30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oliver30 Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 4:09am
post #1 of 13

Need to make some of the MMF that I just made red.

Please help ASAP!

Thanks!
Lisa

12 replies
tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 4:13am
post #2 of 13

It's very simple, you just add the color to the fondant & knead it in. I would wear gloves so your hands don't turn red.

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 4:18am
post #3 of 13

yes just add the color in and knead....like the other person said wear gloves if not your hands will never be the same. LOL well they eventually will! LOL

A better way to add color is next time add the color in right after you melt the marshmallows and before you add the powdered/confectioner sugar

GrannieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrannieJ Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 4:22am
post #4 of 13

Once you knead it in, as it sits, the color will darken a bit.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 5:36am
post #5 of 13

But for future reference, adding the color to the melted marshmallows is easiest. Ya know, right after they come outta the microwave. icon_wink.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 5:44am
post #6 of 13

Adding color to melted marshmellows is how I do it too. That was you aren't kneading sooo long~ icon_smile.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 5:57am
post #7 of 13

Yes, just remember that if you add color to the melted marshmallows, after you add 2 lbs of powdered sugar the color will have lightened quite a bit, so you have to take that into account. It's a kind of trial & error thing. icon_smile.gif

tammik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammik Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 8:36pm
post #8 of 13

Great advice on the coloring of mmf. I just made it for the first time yesterday and kneaded the color in. I did it with gloves at first but it wasn't working very well for me so I took them off and just used my bare hands. I did have discolored hands for a while but not that bad really. I'm going to try the other way you guys have suggested when melting the marshmallows though the next time I get brave enough to use it again.

pretty_in_punk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pretty_in_punk Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 3:05pm
post #9 of 13

Ok I need to color some MMF in bright red & blue for a Superman cake....very very new at this....when you say add color...you mean the wilton color gel stuff...or regular food coloring???

Sorry dumb question i'm sure!!!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 3:56pm
post #10 of 13

Wilton gel or Americolor. Food coloring like you buy at the store is too liquidy. icon_smile.gif

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 10:30pm
post #11 of 13

Another trick I learned on here for coloring fondant. If your fondant is already white, and you are trying to color it, take a small ball off and color the ball one shade darker then your desired color. The work the colored ball into the rest of the fondant. It helps it blend easier and it has less of a chance to look streaky this way=) Also for a red color...many CC members mention tinting the fondant a dark pink first, then red. HTH some, Jen

kissmycookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kissmycookie Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 12:31pm
post #12 of 13

Also if you coat your hands with crisco prior to kneading, the food color won't stain your hands, it will wash right off ! icon_biggrin.gif

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 12:58pm
post #13 of 13

I've watched this on Utube. The person takes a small piece of fondant and colors that and then adds to the rest of the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%