Best Cake For Carving

Decorating By kentuckyjode Updated 25 Oct 2008 , 9:26pm by marknelliesmum

kentuckyjode Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 9

Hello All.....I am going to make my first carved cake and want a really good, not dry cake. I went to recipes and typed in durable cake , but got no recipes.Can anyone help me? Thanks!!

8 replies
kentuckyjode Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 9

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CakeWhizz Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 9

Hi there! Not sure I can help but I'll give you a bump and my two cents worth. Pound cakes are usually good for carving especially if you freeze them a bit first. The darn good chocolate cake recipe is also a good one for carving. Also be careful of your fillings. No fresh cream or anything light. Buttercream is fine but don't add any preserves as that will make the layers slippery. Then again I don't do that many carved cakes. Hope this helps in some way and good luck!!

calynmom Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 9

Pounds cakes are good but I've always had luck with WASC (White Almond Sour Cream). The almond is always strong for me but I like the lemon and chocolate versions. It's a good tasting cake and great for carving.

GI Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 9

Try the WASC with buttercream filling. It should hold up nicely for you, giving your enough time to carve & decorate with the "3-day flavor popping" rule... I like the almond, it gives the cake a nice flavor.

HTH! icon_smile.gif

TooMuchCake Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 9

Pound cakes are best especially when you're starting out. I always have my sculpting students start with pound cakes. If you own or have access to The Cake Mix Doctor book, there is a recipe towards the back of the book called Basic Yellow Pound Cake. I use that recipe but vary the flavor of cake mix according to what flavor I want the cake to be.

kentuckyjode Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 9:00pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you all!!!! Lots of good info and I appreciate it so much!

sayhellojana Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 9:20pm
post #8 of 9

If you would like to bake from scratch, butter-based cakes (such as a 1234 cake) are more dense than oil or shortening ones. I'm sure there are exceptions to this, but its a general rule to go by.

marknelliesmum Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 9:26pm
post #9 of 9

I use Carole Deacon's recipe - it's perfect for carving - i add lemon and syrup to counteract dryness - the very nature of cake that will hold up to being carved is more dense and drier than other cakes. That said this is the only cake i make and i've had no complaints yet. If you want her recipe pm me and i'll give it to you if you tell me what size roughly you need.

Quote by @%username% on %date%