Spray Food Coloring In Cans

Decorating By KimAZ Updated 27 Oct 2008 , 9:22pm by UltimateCakes

KimAZ Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 10

Hello!
I've never used the Wilton spray food coloring in the can and would like opinions on how it tastes. In particular, the red coloring. I use Americolor to color my buttercream but it still has that odd taste when using red. So I thought I'd try the spray kind. I don't have an air brush so the spray can is the next closest thing to try.

Any thoughts?
KimAZ

9 replies
indydebi Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 10

I've only used it a few times, but haven't noticed any aftertaste or anything. When I used it, I used it more of an accent color so there wasn't much on the icing....just enough for color.

SugarFrosted Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 10

I haven't noticed any aftertaste...but I urge you to use one caution. When you spray, be sure to cover all the surfaces around where you spray, and to mask off any areas you don't want to spray. The cans of spray color produce an overspray mist which will settle on everything. The first time I used it, I wiped red color off of stuff in my kitchen for days. Now I use a giant cardboard box as a spray booth, and I cover the table with newspaper.

TooMuchCake Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 10

Sugarfrosted is right, the overspray goes just everywhere. Be careful to cover your counter, backsplash, cake board, everything. There can be a minty smell to the propellant but I haven't noticed any change in the taste of the cake. I have both an airbrush and the spray cans, and I use the sprays for single-color jobs like bottoms of swimming pools or spraying black onto browns.

Deanna

dogwood Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 10

The only Wilton Spray that I've noticed a taste in was the Green one. It has a mint taste.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 10

I used the darker blue. The stuff gets everywhere......

Even if you are careful.

I hated it.

It is kinda cheap so I say use it and try, but I am in the process of investing in an Airbrush..... if only to luster everything I can get my hands on icon_smile.gif

Rocketgirl899 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 10

I used the darker blue. The stuff gets everywhere......

Even if you are careful.

I hated it.

It is kinda cheap so I say use it and try, but I am in the process of investing in an Airbrush..... if only to luster everything I can get my hands on icon_smile.gif

Ayanami Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 7:10pm
post #8 of 10

I used the red spray color for a dragon cake that I did & it may have just been the combo of the burgandy gel color & the spray mist, but it definately had a taste to it. Also, I'm not very impressed with the effect of the spray cans. It's very spotty. I have asked for an air brush system for Christmas, so we'll see how that works. icon_razz.gif

trishalynn0708 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 8:32pm
post #9 of 10

I didn't even know there was such a thing! At least I know before i buy.. icon_smile.gif

UltimateCakes Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 9:22pm
post #10 of 10

I used the Wilton Green Spray for the 3d Go Diego Go Jungle Cake. It made a mess all over my counter and backsplash. It stunk up the kitchen and dining room. TASTED GREAT!!!! I didn't notice any mint to it. No aftertaste.

You could always use Wilton No Taste Red coloring.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%