Buttercream Help

Decorating By Classylady8288 Updated 27 Oct 2008 , 7:50pm by missmeg

Classylady8288 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classylady8288 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 21

So everytime I use buttercream I try to put it on the cake and make it perfectly smooth and seamless and I can never do it. It always ends up cracked looking, bubbly, or it comes right off when I try to smooth it.

What am I doing wrong? How can I fix it?
Should I use a specific receipe?

For instance...Here's a bridal shower cake I made. I dont know if you can tell but the buttercream is all ...spotty? i guess. It's not smooth. And it drives me crazy. icon_sad.gif
LL

20 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 21

It looks like the bc is too thick. Perhaps try adding more liquid next time. Not thin really, but looser.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 21

What smoothing method are you using? I HIGHLY recommend the Melvira paint roller method. (Home page .... scrolls thru the articles till you come to it). I discovered this a little more than a year ago and every cake made since then has been Melvira'd!

prettytoya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettytoya Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 21

That was gonna be my answer as well-it looks like it needs more liquid. Happy Caking!

rachel-b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachel-b Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 21

I am definitely NOT an expert, but looks like you need to thin it down. Have you tried the Viva method for smoothing? After seeing all the rave reviews here on CC, I gave it a try. It really does work!

rachel-b Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 21

BTW...your cake is precious!

Classylady8288 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 21

The only thing i've ever been told to do is to run hot water over my spatula and smooth it that way. i mean it kinda works and smooths it out a little but not the way i want it to look.

indydebi Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:20pm
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classylady8288

The only thing i've ever been told to do is to run hot water over my spatula and smooth it that way. i mean it kinda works and smooths it out a little but not the way i want it to look.

That was the only way I knew of for years ... but Melvira wins hands down on the best method.

rachel-b Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:22pm
post #9 of 21

Here you go: http://cakecentral.com/article83-Quick--Easy-Smooth-Icing-Using-a-Roller-Melvira-Method.html
I haven't used the foam roller, yet. I've just used a Viva paper towel with my fondant roller and it makes a HUGE difference.
Classylady, noticed you are in SC. I'm in Lexington, just outside of Cola. Wanted to let you know about an ICES Share Day nearby on Nov. 16. PM me if you want more info.

showersfamily4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
showersfamily4 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:39pm
post #10 of 21

Classylady, I, too, was very frustrated with my buttercream attempts. I ordered Sugarshacks Buttercream DVD (www.sugaredproductions.com) and it has made a radical improvement for me. I, also, notice that if my bc is a little too thick that it wants to peel off the cake. So, I highly recommend sugarshacks DVD. It really is good.

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by showersfamily4

Classylady, I, too, was very frustrated with my buttercream attempts. I ordered Sugarshacks Buttercream DVD (www.sugaredproductions.com) and it has made a radical improvement for me. I, also, notice that if my bc is a little too thick that it wants to peel off the cake. So, I highly recommend sugarshacks DVD. It really is good.

I agree! And this method is really quick once you get it down.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 9:15pm
post #12 of 21

Definitely Sugarshack's DVD--I can't tell you how many frustrating hours I would have saved in my lifetime if I'd just had this DVD!!! Her methods from BC recipe to smoothing, stacking, etc. are top notch! Check my pics--the difference is amazing!!!!

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:36am
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classylady8288

So everytime I use buttercream I try to put it on the cake and make it perfectly smooth and seamless and I can never do it. It always ends up cracked looking, bubbly, or it comes right off when I try to smooth it.

What am I doing wrong? How can I fix it?
Should I use a specific receipe?

For instance...Here's a bridal shower cake I made. I dont know if you can tell but the buttercream is all ...spotty? i guess. It's not smooth. And it drives me crazy. icon_sad.gif

Definitely try thinning down your icing. Also, try the VIVA paper towel method. It works great.

Wesha

Classylady8288 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:51am
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel-b

Here you go: http://cakecentral.com/article83-Quick--Easy-Smooth-Icing-Using-a-Roller-Melvira-Method.html
I haven't used the foam roller, yet. I've just used a Viva paper towel with my fondant roller and it makes a HUGE difference.
Classylady, noticed you are in SC. I'm in Lexington, just outside of Cola. Wanted to let you know about an ICES Share Day nearby on Nov. 16. PM me if you want more info.

Im from the charleston area icon_smile.gif
I would be very interested but I actually am going to be out of town that day already. I have my cousins 1st birthday...and Im bringing the cake. lol. icon_biggrin.gif

rachel-b Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 5:06pm
post #15 of 21

Well, make sure you post the pic!

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 5:51pm
post #16 of 21

My (limited) experience with smoothing has been that there is only a small window of time between when your icing can be smoothed nicely and when it has crusted too much and causes cracks or wrinkles. I keep wanting to go back and "fix" an area here or there, but every time I've done that I've just made it worse. My best results have been to make sure to start smoothing fairly quickly after applying my bc and when I think I'm done, I need to be DONE!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 10:00pm
post #17 of 21

Everyone has advised you to thin the icing by adding more liquid BUT........
I believe you will have much b etter success if you add more fat (Criso &/or butter)instead! It needs to be creamier and by doing that it will also be a bit thinnericon_smile.gif
And I definately agree about getting SugarShack's DVD!

indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 10:30pm
post #18 of 21

more fat .... less crusting.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 1:59am
post #19 of 21

But, but but......indydebi it doesn't need that muchicon_smile.gif
Maybe as little as 1/4 cup or less but wow, what a difference it could make.
I think it's worth the try..

indydebi Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:14am
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

But, but but......indydebi it doesn't need that muchicon_smile.gif
Maybe as little as 1/4 cup or less but wow, what a difference it could make.
I think it's worth the try..

Ok, this goes under my ever-growing "Duh, Debi!" collection! dunce.gif YOu're right on that!

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 7:50pm
post #21 of 21

I'm another one who recommends BOTH SugarShack's DVD, as well as using the Melvira foam roller. I use both and they work fabulous.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%