Royal Icing, How Long Is It Good For?

Baking By my2boys Updated 26 Oct 2008 , 2:12pm by shiney

my2boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my2boys Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 6

If I make a huge quantity of royal icing and leave it in the refrig,will it be good to use in three weeks? I have to make 50 cookies for this weekend and then I have to make 60 cookies in three weeks and I thought if I make it in bulk it would save me alot of time, But I dont dont know if it will keep. Has anyone done this? IF so please help.. Thanks...

5 replies
3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 6

The title of this post reminds me of a song, but I think I am thinking about is about war.... icon_confused.gif

anyhooooo... icon_smile.gif ...I think it depends if you use powdered egg white or real eggs. I think royal made with meringue powder would last quite some time....maybe a month...in the fridge, though it starts to break down. You would need to re-whip. I would store it in glass as well, as colored icing doesn't much like plastic.

If using real egg white, not sure I would keep it more than a week.

JMHO.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 6

I use a meringue powder based royal and i've left it on the counter in tupperware container for several weeks and it was still fine to use. I just remixed it with spoon and decorated the cookies.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 7:40am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemom777

The title of this post reminds me of a song, but I think I am thinking about is about war.... icon_confused.gif ...

Your question's been answered so pardon me if l hijack for a brief moment...

That is exactly what I heard in my head when I read the title!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I said, war, huh
Good God, y'all
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it again

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 8:11am
post #5 of 6

The Wilton book says Royal Icing made w/meringue can be left out on the counter for two weeks. (I put it in the frig and it will last a little longer)

I have a Kerry Vincent cake decorating book with an egg white recipes for Royal Icing that says "Royal Icing can be placed in the freezer until needed. Just double wrap in plastic wrap, then double bag.

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 6

I keep in the fridge, but be sure to re-stir it really well, it tends to separate, y'all

Singing right along, Next Verse....
War, whoa, Lord
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Listen to me

That song came directly into my head as well......'magin that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%